This presentation is a summary of the M2SYS free learning podcast on patient identification in healthcare. We interviewed Nancy Farrington, EMPI Administrator with MainLine Health in Broomall, PA who has over 30 years of experience in patient access and patient identification. Nancy also served on the National Association of Healthcare Access Managemennt (NAHAM) board of directors.
During our conversation with Nancy, we asked her to:
1. Define the #1 challenge in patient identification
2. Explain patient identification's role in patient safety strategies
3. Describe the real risks of patient misidentification
4. Offer her opinion on what can be done to prevent patient misidentification
5. Discuss patient identification issues across health information exchanges
The 37 minute podcast covers all of these topics plus some additional thoughts by Nancy on what new patient identification technologies she feels are important for hospitals to research for possible adoption such as biometric patient identification. For an audio version of the podcast please point your browser to: http://www.m2sys.com/podcasts.htm
Thank you to Nancy for her time and expertise on our inaugural free learning podcast! Look for more podcasts on our "Resources" page in the near future.