Speaking class 2. Work Vocabulary. Jobs Taboo. Modern Family S1E1
Past Simple and Past
work flexible hours
ask for a pay rise
work long hours
get a promotion
be under pressure at work
work unsocial hours
Find someone who…
is looking for a job at the moment
has an interesting job
is studying for an exam
usually gets up before seven o’clock
wants to live in a different country
is trying to stop smoking
reads a newspaper every day
is reading a good book at the moment
Think of a job and be ready to answer the questions.
Questions to ask about work
1. What do you do (for a living)?
2. What’s your job?
3. Where do you work?
4. How long have you worked there?
5. Do you enjoy it?
6. What are the hours like?
7. Do you get on well with your colleagues?
Modern Family (Discussion)
1. There are three families in the TV series: Claire and Phil; Jay
and Gloria; Mitchel and Cameron. Can you tell us a few
words about them?
2. Why is Claire so worried about Haley? Which news have they
got from their teenage daughter? How do they react to this?
3. Why does Phil think he is a cool dad?
4. What incident do Mitchel and Cameron get into on the plane?
5. What kind of relationship have Jay and Gloria got? What
about Manny and Jay?
6. Why are Mitchel and Cameron so worried about their baby
when they get home?
7. How does the whole family find out about the adopted child?
8. How does the episode finish?
Which of the following benefits is most important to you in a
job and why?
• A high salary
• Good working conditions
• A boss you enjoy working for
• Co-workers you like
• Little or no overtime
• Good opportunities for promotion
• The opportunity to use the training and skills you have
• A job near where you live
• The opportunity to travel
• Flexible working hours
Are there any of these not important to you?
If you could have any job in the world, what would you like to