Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Low incidence disabilities_and_syndromes

3,056 views

Published on

Comparison between Usher, CHARGE and Down Syndrome

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

Low incidence disabilities_and_syndromes

  1. 1. Lindsay Johnson July 21, 2014
  2. 2.  Most common condition that can affect both a person’s hearing and vision Major symptoms are: •Hearing Loss •Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP) •Causes night-blindness and a loss of peripheral vision •Progressive degeneration of the retina •As the RP Progresses the field of vision narrows Usher Syndrome
  3. 3.  Approximately 6-12% of children who are deaf or hard- of hearing have Usher Syndrome.  It is a autosomal-recessive disorder that a child inherits when both parents have or carry the gene. Usher Syndrome There is a 25% chance a child will be unaffacted 25% chance a child will have the disorder 50% chance the child will be a carrier
  4. 4.  Usher Syndrome Three Types
  5. 5.  Usher Syndrome The retina on the left is a person with Usher Syndrome compared to the retina on the right of a normal retina.
  6. 6.  Child should sit where they are more comfortable can see: •The chalkboard •The teacher •Other Students •Sit in front of a window, not behind it When a teacher is talking, they should stand in front of the window Modifications for Usher Syndrome
  7. 7.  • Keep clean of clutter, unnecessary drawers or doors open. • Inform student if the room should change at any time Keep the format of the room the same • Non glare paper • Whiteboard, use dark colors. Chalkboard use light colors avoid yellows because it is hard to see • Experiment with lighting in the room to help the child out. Pay attention to color contrasts. Easier to see for the student. Modifications Cont.
  8. 8.  Print out individual copies for the student to examine on their own. •Graphs, Charts, Maps etc Time and a half on test Additional time to complete assignments Shorten Assignments •limit the number of questions asked Modifications Cont.
  9. 9.  Genetic birth defects that occurs in one in every 10,000 birth Extremely complex syndrome that differs in each child Babies born with CHARGE Syndrome suffer from life-threatening birth defects, including heart defects, hearing loss, vision loss and balance problems Charge Syndrome
  10. 10.  Charge Syndrome  “CHARGE” Acronym for characteristics  C: Coloboma, Cranial nerves  H: Heart Defects  A: Atresia of the choanae  R: Retardation in growth and Mental Development  G: Genital abnormalities  E: Ear malformation and/or hearing loss  4/6 characteristics must be present for diagnosis
  11. 11.  Children with CHARGE typically suffer from both hearing and vision loss. Educators should use: •Total Communication •Gestures, print/braille, symbols, PECS, Facial expression, simple signs etc. •Make sure all activities have a clear beginning, middle and end and are at their level of understanding •Sensory Breaks •Quiet room with low lighting •Bean bag chair •Books and magazines •Weighted vests or blankets Modifications
  12. 12. Children with CHARGE Syndrome are often underestimated. They are clever children that need to be challenged to grow and flourish in the classroom. Techniques teachers can use to assist and motivate the child: Hang up their work Intriguing material in the classroom Rotate material Be as creative as possible Modifications
  13. 13.  •Organizational Skills •Negotiation techniques •Let the child feel in control •Sharing •Peer-to-peer interactions •Motivation •Choose activities that the child will find interesting •People Preferences •Choose who to work with •Modeling •Choices •Gives the child a sense that they are in control Structuring activities Modifications
  14. 14.  • Touch when signaling that someone is talking or signing • Hand Over/Under Hand • Sensory Breaks • Short break between activities and during long activities • Signals: Verbal/Auditory/Visual • Gesture to gain their attention • Tap to signal that you want their attention • Speak softly Sensory Techniques Modifications
  15. 15.  Down Syndrome  A genetic condition when a baby is born with 47 chromosomes instead of 46  People with Down syndrome are widely noticeable due to their facial appearance
  16. 16.  Create a planning matrix to show how goals will be worked on throughout the student’s day. •A chart can be created to show the specifics of the matrix. •At lunch they will learn about handling money •Communication will be in the afternoon with peers •Reading will be in the morning, one-on-one with an aide Modifications
  17. 17.  Keep the classroom interesting, showcase the student’s work to promote student motivation Make connections as much as possible and allow time for the student to apply their new knowledge. Repetition is key Contain the noise level in the classroom Allow the student to work one-on-one or in small groups Modifications
  18. 18.  Have the student sit in the front of the classroom Remove distractions Speak directly to the student and/or use signs, gestures, expressions and lights to get their attention Visual Aids Larger Font Use simple directions, break items down into smaller chunks Modifications
  19. 19.  Usher Syndrome Dual sensory impairment of hearing and vision loss Characteristics also include balance, motor and language development and intellect delays Genetic syndrome Hearing loss as early as 6 months, but child is diagnosed with Usher later on in childhood Life Expectancy is normal Intelligence range is normal-high CHARGE Syndrome Has symptoms of loss of hearing and vision loss Characteristics also include balance, motor and language development and intellect delays Genetic Abnormality Diagnosed at birth, distinct facial features Highest mortality rate during the child’s first 3 years due to seriousness of condition. Long Term: un known Intelligence major learning disabilities-normal Down Syndrome Recent findings have been discovered showing people with hearing and vision loss Besides physical characteristics, 50% of children are born with heart defects and thyroid disease Genetic (Chromosomal) Syndrome Can be diagnosed during prenatal care of mother or at birth With treatment for health conditions, people can live a long and healthy life Often suffer cognitive delays/mental retardation Comparison
  20. 20.  Motivation Hand over/under hand Guidance Touch Cues Sit the student closest to the chalkboard and teacher Extended time and a half on tests Shorten assignments Work one-on-one or in small groups Modifications in Common
  21. 21.   Bar-Tzur, D. (2008, June 23). Interpreting and working with Deaf-Blind people. Retrieved 07 20, 2014, from http://theinterpretersfriend.org/pd/ws/db/text.html  Cleveland Clinic. (1995-2014). Diseases & Conditions. Retrieved 07 19, 2014, from Cleveland Clinic: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/usher_syndrome/hic_usher_syn drome.aspx  Daniel P. Hallahan, J. M. (2009). Exceptional Learners An Introduction to Special Education. Boston: Pearson.  J., D. (2012). Development and characteristics of children with Usher syndrome and CHARGE syndrome. Retrieved 07 20, 214, from PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22721527  Martha M. Majors, M. a. (2008, March). Educational Needs of Children with CHARGE Syndrome. Retrieved 07 18, 2014, from Charge Syndrome: http://chargesyndrome.org/professional%20packet/11%20educational%2 0needs.pdf Bibliography
  22. 22.   Meg Hefner, M. (1999). Diagnosis, Genetics and Prenatal Diagnosis in Charge. Retrieved 07 19, 2014, from http://chargesyndrome.org/manual/Diagnosis.pdf  Molly McLaughlin OTR/L, M. (n.d.). Effectuve Strategues for Home and School for the Student with Usher Syndrome. Retrieved 07 19, 2014, from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source= web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nm sd.k12.nm.us%2Foutreach%2Fdocuments%2FEffectiveDeaf- blindStrategiesforHomeandSchool.ppt&ei=YzTJU- zVCoeGyATj-4G4Cw&usg=AFQjCNHLhk_xKaWJBc- KnQSZxKZnMbXnGQ&si  Moss, K. (2002, 07 30). Syndromes Which Often Result in Combined Vision and Hearing Loss. Retrieved 07 19, 2014, from SEE/HEAR: http://www.tsbvi.edu/seehear/archive/syndromes.html Bibliography Cont.
  23. 23.   National Down Syndrome Society. (2012). Down Syndrome Facts. Retrieved 07 20, 2014, from The National Advocate for People with Down Syndrome Since 1979: http://www.ndss.org/Down- Syndrome/Down-Syndrome-Facts/  National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders. (2014, April 30). Usher Syndrome. Retrieved 07 18, 2014, from National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD): http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/usher.aspx  Radek, A. &. (2009-2013). Alicja. Retrieved 07 19, 2014, from Alicja: http://www.alicja.org/  WebMD. (2014). Children's Heath Understanding Down Syndrome-- the Basics. Retrieved 07 20, 2014, from WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/children/guide/understanding-down- syndrome-basics Bibliography Cont.

×