• Loose material; miscellaneous
remnants; odds and ends
• A detritus of rock and dirt
rumbled down the hillside and
into the lake, where it splashed
into the water.
• To bubble or hiss; to show
liveliness or exhilaration
• The Alka-Seltzer tablet
effervesced in the glass, and sent
up a million bubbles of relief to
• Ten thousand; great or vast number
• The box contained a myriad of yarn,
buttons, sequins, and other sewing
supplies – enough for a lifetime of
• Awaiting a chance to entrap; treacherous; sly
• The insidious spider waited for a fly to enter
into its carefully constructed web.
• Tending to cause discontent, envy, animosity
or ill will
• The political movie was invidious, and she
refused to stand a minute longer in the
theatre watching it.
• Characterized by a refusal to abandon a
position; very stubborn
• The intransigent cat refused to get off my lap,
pawing in deep with its needle like claws.
• Unable to be expressed in words
• The boy stood in ineffable silence, unable to
speak about what had happened to him in the
• Highly complicated or quite complex; having a
refined knowledge of the ways of the world
• Sam’s cousin has a highly sophisticated
understanding of an engine; he can take one
look under the hood and tell Sam just what is
wrong with his car.
• To foster; to develop; to inspire with hope
• My mother encouraged me to be a great chef
by showing me secrets to her favorite recipes
and helping me study spices and extracts.
• To transfix with wonder; to hold spellbound
• The book fascinated me with its vivid
characters and story of the war in Vietnam.
• To infer; to take from a specified source
• The word “giant” is derived from the Greek
• Oscillating; fluctuating; moving to and fro
• The fan vibrated as it gave out cool, refreshing
air to the room.