• Attendance is mandatory.
• Allowed 2 absences without issues.
• ½ absence if you are 10 or more minutes late.
• The more you participate, the
more fun the class is.
• Homework – (25%)
• Midterm – (30%)
• Final – (30%)
• Attendance (15%)
This classroom is an
• There are two types of Language
• BICS – Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills
• CALP – Cognitive Aptitude Language Proficiency
• Day to Day Language
• Social interaction
• Words that everyone uses
• Language used in College
• Used in Business and
• More abstract or detailed
What are some jobs that require CALP?
Business English is one part of CALP.
◦ Product Descriptions
◦ Telephone calls
1. Details and Abstracts
◦ Abstract – Different ways to look at the same situation
◦ Details – Smallest parts of an item.
Build Create, Assemble, Manufacture
◦ Would, Could, Should, Shall, Must, Will, Can
◦ Who is the Boss, who is the subordinate, who is the
Boss Employee vs. Employee Boss
Specific words for your occupation
Generally used words at work
What would you like to
learn most from this class?
Working in an English speaking office
Giving a presentation
Slang and Idioms
We will be following mostly from:
English for Business Communications – First
Edition (Cambridge University Press).
Added material may be used in class in this
presentation or in handouts.
Please come prepared for taking notes.
Have a Great Day!