CHOOSE ENERGY-EFFICIENT LIGHTING
• Problem: Printing documents uses a significant amount
of paper, contributing to deforestation and depletion of
• Solution: Use email for correspondence, and store
documents on the cloud where they can be accessed
easily by anyone within the company.
TIPS FOR AN
USE POWER-SAVING MODE
• Problem: Copiers, computers and other office
equipment must be left on during work hours, but
can sit idle for long periods.
• Solution: Activate power-saving mode to put office
equipment to sleep after a few minutes of inactivity.
• Problem: Workplaces often need to have artificial lighting
on all day, consuming too much power.
• Solution: Open blinds on windows or install skylights to
increase the amount of natural light the facility receives.
• Problem: Traditional incandescent light bulbs consume
a lot of energy and are frequently left on when they don’t
need to be.
• Solution: Switch to compact fluorescent or LED bulbs for
greater efficiency. Put lights on timers or motion sensors to
switch them off when not in use.
• Problem: Office supplies and packaging often end up
in landfills, creating waste.
• Solution: Recycle as much as you can in your office
or facility, and choose supplies that are made with
mostly recycled content.
PERFORM REGULAR HVAC CHECKUPS
• Problem: Heating and air-conditioning systems may be
inefficient due to dirty filters or leaky vents — causing them
to consume more energy than necessary.
• Solution: Conduct regular inspections of your building’s
HVAC system and have it cleaned frequently.
• Problem: Commercial buildings consume a significant portion
of all energy used in the United States. This can put a strain on
the power grid.
• Solution: Installing solar panels, wind turbines or other renewable
energy sources may not fulfill your energy needs entirely. They can
help reduce your dependence on fossil fuels, however.
INVEST IN RENEWABLE ENERGY
INSIST ON GREEN CLEANING PRODUCTS
• Problem: Keeping large offices and other facilities
clean often means using harsh chemicals that harm
• Solution: Green cleansers made with all-natural
compounds offer the same cleaning power without
introducing toxins or irritants into the ecosystem.
Here are eight ways to make your company’s facilities
more environmentally responsible.