Add audio – Discussion settings are really important for this class. If you haven’t used blogs for a class before, it is hard to imagine why these settings make a difference. Getting your settings right is part of the grading process. Here’s a quick presentation on how these settings fit in to your grades as a whole.
Audio – explanation that this is an example from the past.
Cartoon diagram Cartoon diagram #1 Student at desk - #2 Instructor at desk - #3 cartoon blog - #4cartoon of grade
Elaboration audio and possible KABoom! Sound effect.
More elaborative audio.
Discussion settings and the grade process
Why Your Discussion Settings
•For this online class, comments on
fellow student’s blogs are like class
•You will be graded on your comments.
•Your fellow students will be graded on
the comments they make on your blog.
•Comments on fellow student’s blogs
are worth 8% of the total grade
Getting your grade!
Comment on several blogs.
Keep track of the URLs of the blogs you
Turn your work in!
• Submit those URLs through Blackboard.
• Your instructor will review your comments by going to
the blog URL and reading your comments.
• A grade and feedback will be given through the
Blackboard Grade Center.
To the URL
Grade is posted
That’s the way it is supposed to
• If your blog allows comments to go
through freely, then the system works
• But what if your blog is
not allowing comments
to go through?
• A student comments on your blog.
• Your blog comment settings require your
• You don’t approve the comment right away.
• Your fellow classmates can’t see comments.
• Your instructor can’t see the comments to
But what if…..
Someone makes offensive remarks?
• Don’t worry, as we go through the
module on getting your settings right,
you’ll see that there are some
safeguards in place.
• Remember – your fellow classmates
are being graded on what they say.
Won’t there be a lot of “spam”
• Spam happens.
• Wordpress has anti-spam measures
Ready to get started? View the next presentation on how to
get those Discussion Settings right the first time.