• What should you know about social media in
• Why should you be engaged?
• How should you engage?
• How does social media policy fit in?
• How is success measured?
5. The Price Is Right!
Guess the social media statistic
• The closest without going over, wins!
6. The Price Is Right!
What percent of all time spent online is spent
on social media sites?
Source: Global Web Index study of Internet users 16-64, as reported by AdWeek
7. The Price Is Right!
Facebook has how many monthly active users?
HINT: It’s more than 100 million …
1.71 billion as of 2Q 2016
• 1.57 billion mobile monthly active users = 92% of users
Sources: Facebook, Statista
8. The Price Is Right!
How many million tweets are sent a day?
• About 6000 tweets per second
• 313 million monthly active users
• But how many more exist who are inactive?
Sources: Internet Live Stats, Twitter
9. What do you know
10. What is social media?
• Compliment to development &
• Two-way communication with supporters &
• NOT an instant way to raise funds
• NOT a megaphone (one-sided)
11. Why engage?
• Part of your role as an ambassador for
• Raises organization visibility in community
• Identifies connections for organization
• Fundraising opportunities
12. How to engage?
• Connect with staff managing platforms
• Assist with strategy where appropriate
• Interact with content generated
• List your affiliation with organization
• Request platform training if needed
13. What’s the policy?
• If organization has policy: please comply
• If no policy, work with staff to draft one
• Friending staff?
• Photo & logo permissions
• Be mindful how posts reflect on your role
SM policy sets expectations and boundaries. Gives operations guidelines to those using in job, as well as personal use related. Policies are NOT static.
You have policies for other modes of communication-why not social media?
Metrics inside social media platforms
External sites (e.g. Klout, Storify)
Example of internal app metrics
Why did this post work? Tags, shares.
Also note the hide request
Open discussion – if time, discuss with neighbor then group sharing