• Founded by Marc Ecko:2002
• Note: Complex Media
Network became it’s own
entity separate from Ecko
Enterprises in 2009
• 12 Issues a Year/Dual Covers
• The only print magazine that
gives a different cover( on
both sides) of every issue
• $10 yearly subscription
• Single Issue: $4
• Circulation: 300, 000
• Men: 18-34
• College Educated
• Median HHI: $66,363
Competitors-Conde Nast Publications ( Cargo, Sync, Vitals)- Two years after launch, these publications
XXL Magazine- Has a similar targeted audience; however, their main focus is Hip –Hop
Esquire-Men’s/Lifestyle Culture- Different Demographic and audience as a whole/Higher Subscription
Complex Media Network -Media Platform with an abundance of content and access to a number of
advertisers and partnerships to include various sites like : Juxtapoz.com, Nahright.com, HipHopDX.com
50 million Unique visitors a month to the Complex Media Network
The content they’ve created and curated can be bundled with the App offering special content not found on
the main site or in the magazine.
The subscription of the magazine could be bundled with the app, especially considering the magazine
subscription is only $10 for 12 issues.
The bundled app and print price could be:
• $12.99 for Print and App
• $ 2.99 for just the App
Six main categories: Style and Art, Sneakers, Music, Entertainment, Gaming and Sports- there are 10 to
22 plus affiliate sites for each category.
The app is an opportunity to combine the sites content, and pull the most visited information from the
sites and offer an opportunity to link those affiliates directly to the consumer as well from this one
Considering the magazine and network are geared towards attracting young men
(Niche Markets: Current Trends in Street wear, hip-hop culture and graphic art) , there
is an opportunity to open the audience up just a bit to a larger demographic.
• E-commerce: Provide a condense platform for the sites that are already under the
Complex Network and allow their products, deals and etc., to be accessible via the
• Advertisers: Open the App to Advertisers/Marketers ( more freedom to advertise
more of their products exclusively), considering the already forged relationships
with all of their affiliate sites.
• Complex Media Network: Utilize Complex TV from the site to reel in more dedicated
users. Create episodes via the app which would contain known “characters” or
contributors to Complex Media.
The goal of the app is not a money making motive. The overall goal is to drive
brand and name loyalty back to the Complex.com site and all of it’s affiliates as
well. Complex Media already has affiliate/partnerships being managed and deals
with retailers in which they have established relationships.
• Build: Utilize Mag+
• Budget: 50K
• Format: Mobile and Tablet versions
• Platform: Android and Apple
• By utilizing both platforms we could reach a significantly broader
audience since everyone does not have an Apple device.
Podcast: Podcast are still a nice little way to introduce an audience
to some of the content. Make the podcasts exclusive to the app.
Giveaways: With the app, there would be an “early bird” giveaway
alert for those subscribers who have opted for both the print and
Since Complex.com has various lists, the top lists viewed could be
complied together from each category and have a celebrity
commentator from a representative of that list (i.e.-Sports/Sneakers
( Michael Jordan) narrating the list exclusive to the app
Launch events for Artists, Musicians and Gamers and partner with
sponsors from their favorite brands and offer the app for free to all
attendees of these events as part of the “Swag Bag.”
Cross market “How To” video’s from the Complex.com site with
partners and affiliates of those products featured in the “How to”
micro videos and offer to feature their advertisement on the app.
Social Media Engagement Rate: 66x that of MTV
Utilize all Social Media Platforms ( Facebook, YouTube,
Pinterest, Twitter, Google+)
• Example Contest on Pinterest-”Best Throwback
Sneakers in Your Closet” w/Caption-Win a chance to be
featured in a special editorial piece for the magazine.
The app user will have the capability to choose which cover ( the front or back) they’d like to start the App
Much like the magazine the app will allow the two covers to represent to facets of the magazine app:
• Male Celebrity Side ( Lifestyle/Music/Film/Gaming)
• Female Celebrity Side ( “Consumer Reports Esque”-Technology/Sneakers/Apparel
Color Scheme –Synonymous with the print magazine
Graphics-Always exciting and Interactive particularly with new shoe releases
Most Popular Lists
Interviews exclusive to the App ( Not in the Magazine)
Giveaways ( Early Bird Announcements)
Much like the magazine the app will allow the two covers to represent two facets of the magazine:
• Male Celebrity Side ( Lifestyle/Music/Film/Gaming)
• Female Celebrity Side ( “Consumer Reports esque”-Technology/Sneakers/Apparel)
As an app, combining Complex Magazine and elements of content from the
already established network is a recipe for success.
• The competitors folded a few years ago.
• Considering all of the affiliates it will not be a hard sell to get everyone on
• Retailers/advertisers/marketers will love the idea of being more involved and
treated exclusively to an app.
• The Complex.com site has a massive audience overall and it’s time to tap
into all aspects of the name and join them together with an app, that
generates the most exclusive and popular content to the user.
• The money is flowing into the company already; however, adding a direct eCommerce capability for example, and dealing directly with retailers will
increase revenue as well, in addition to the revenue generated from the app