G. Tamoliūnė "What is Expected from Early Stage Researcher in Nowadays Society?"
Giedrė Tamoliūnė, Vytautas Magnus University
What is Expected from Early Stage
Who is Early Stage Researcher?
Early Stage Researcher (ESR) – doctoral
student who is in the first phase (four
years) of being professional in
research (European Research Council).
ESR Competencies in
Written and oral
Providing new knowledge
* QAA (2015); European Qualification Framework; ERA (2005); EuroDoc (2004);
EC (2004); ETUCE (2014, 2015); etc.
Solving critical problems in
research and/or innovation
to the development of new
ideas or processes
ESR in Scientific
• ESR must demonstrate ability to independently
implement unique and nationally or internationally
important researches as well as publish their scientific
results in international peer-reviewed and indexed
journals; participate in internships, summer schools.
• ESR should be able to prepare, plan and manage its
own career development while knowing how and
where to find a support.
**Geuna (2015); Elley, Biggs and Pitts (2012); Ismail and Meerah (2012); Baptista (2010);
Baptista and Huet (2012); Boytazis (2008); etc.
1. Who is mostly responsible for helping ESR to
gain necessary competences and fulfill
expectations of academic and non-academic
2. What are main challenges that young
researchers face during his study period?
3. Is University preparing doctoral students as
professional researchers and lecturers or as
practitioners who are ready to work outside