A/G Library Marketing
Social Media/Branding Success Stories
Base: New York City
Title of the Presentation | 8/5/2013 | 2
2.5 Campaigns Worth Sharing…
• “Keep Calm And Ask a Librarian” branding initiative
• Social Pix “World’s Greatest Librarian” @ American Library Association Annual
• Springer’s Best Quote Contest
GOAL: Engagement & Branding
Title of the Presentation | 8/5/2013 | 7
• Develop an in-booth promotion at ALA to creates a memorable experience
for the librarian.
• Somehow integrate social media & increase # of “Likes” on FB.
• Be the “talk” of the conference.
Title of the Presentation | 8/5/2013 | 8
• Photo Promotion with Social Pix
• Librarian T-Shirts
Title of the Presentation | 8/5/2013 | 16
• Angie: “Leon– do an end of year social media marketing campaign and see what
you can do with those left over “Keep Calm & Ask A Librarian” t-shirts.
• Leon: Hmmmmmm…….
Title of the Presentation | 8/5/2013 | 17
• Submit an original quote, haiku, limerick, or poem relating to the evolution of digital
libraries, research, knowledge, and/or the vital role of a librarian.
(the hook): Each participant will receive a free “Keep Calm and Ask a Librarian” t-shirt.
For example, Douglas Adams (author of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) wrote:
“Lovers of print are simply confusing the plate for the food.”
Think you have what it takes?? Enter today (via Facebook/Wildfire).
The official contest winner gets:
A limited edition, printed & framed poster of winning quote,
Poster distribution at ALA MW 2013 & ALA 2013, IFLA 2013, etc…
A new iPad 2
And a catered holiday lunch for the library staff.
Title of the Presentation | 8/5/2013 | 18
• Set-up using Wildfire App (Google property).
• Microsite created on springer.com
• Contest promoted via: Facebook proper (promoted post), Twitter, LinkedIn, an eMail
• Contest ran for 2 weeks.
• Total Entries: 100+ entries from librarians around the world- 7selected as finalists.
• Miguel Correia, a librarian from ISCAL in Portugal, was chosen (by his own peers) as the
winner. Voting period lasted one week.
• Winning image/ePoster went “viral” (222.26%) with 302 “Likes”, 896 shares,
27 comments and countless requests for a printable hi res version (emails to
• To date (and per Facebook metrics) the poster/image has had a reach of 38,997+.
• Poster printed and distributed at ALA MW Librarian Conference.
• Librarians at conference brought up the contest without being triggered.