1. 4 Billion Videos are Watched Every Day. 3 billion hours of video are added every month. There are 800 million different users on the ‘tube’.
02. Originally was Slated for Online Dating! The creators of the tube originally wanted to make a dating site called “Tune In Ho0k Up“. After a few discussions the Idea was dropped.
03. The First Video was About Elephants! The first video put up on Facebook was ‘Me at the zoo’ by co-founder Jawed Karim discussing elephant trunks. This short film has over 9 million views.
04. Its Not UTUBE! Initially people were attempting to type the address phonetically, which caused mass confusion. Later they changed their address to Utubeonline, and ‘Utube’ is now a redirecting page.
05. Thank You Janet Jackson For those of us that remember the great boob-gate scandal of Super Bowl XXXVIII, “this” event served as a launching point for the site.
When Karim was unable to find footage of thepreviously mentioned Jackson’s nipple, it inspired himto help create the site we use to today.
06. 92 Billion Page Views Per Month! The average user visiting the site is 14 times a month. And they stay around 25 minutes per visit.
07. Three Homies! Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim all were buds from their old job(PayPal). They went into the idea of the YouTube with a bonus from Work.
08. Across the Pond! Nearly 70% of YouTubes traffic comes from outside the good old USA. In fact the site is localized in 36 countries, across 54 different languages.
09. Its Got Definition!10% of the site’s videos are broadcasted in HD.
10. Advertising Pays the Bills! YouTube advertises for over 10,000 companies including Disney, Turner, and Univision. The site monetizes nearly 3 billion video views per week.