The village
1890 postcard showing view from Signal Hill looking toward village

                                                      ...
The view down Mirror Lake, ca. 1890

220
Another view down Mirror Lake, ca. 1890


                                          221
Boating on Mirror Lake, ca. 1900

222
A small group of business buildings that once stood at the intersection
of Main Street and Mirror Lake Drive at the base o...
The same small complex, from the lake. The first of these buildings, on
      the right, was built between 1898 and 1909. ...
Upper village, at turn off Main Street onto Saranac Avenue, 1903

                                                        ...
Main Street coach, 1900

226
Lake Placid Transfer Company coach, 1907

                                           227
Old Town Clock
      Livery (current
      address 2541
      Main Street). In
      1903, the Devlin
      Block of shops...
Paving Main Street with brick, 1921

                                      229
Building Hillcrest Avenue

230
Ready to pave with brick, 1921

                                 231
Main Street … paved!

232
Although street paving was completed in 1921, that didn’t mean snow
 didn’t still muck up the streets of Lake Placid. (Pho...
Early snow roller

234
Brownell shooting gallery, 1895 [later, Kaiser Photo]

                                                        235
The top of Main Street, 1901 — Brownell & Kaiser Photo on right

236
Henry Kaiser’s photo shop, ca. 1903

                                      237
Henry Kaiser and Mrs. W.W. Brownell

238
Main Street boardwalk; Lake Placid Public Library in background

                                                         ...
Lake Placid Public Library, 1903

240
Program for the
Happy Hour
Theater, built in
1911 [current
street address,
2523 Main Street]
— expanded in
the 1920s — now...
First North Elba Town Hall, 1910; built 1908

242
Theater in old Town Hall, 1910

                                 243
Old Town Hall after fire, Feb. 11, 1915

244
Lake Placid Military Band posing in front of the new Town Hall

                                                          ...
Newman
The dam and sawmill on Mill Pond, 1885, which drove the development of what
 many thought of as a separate village to the ...
Horatio
      Hinckley,
      builder of the
      house (in the
      early 1840s)
      later occupied
      by Anna
   ...
Anna Newman’s house at Heaven Hill, 1885


                                           251
Anna Newman

252
G.G. White general store, corner of Station Street and Mill Hill road, 1886

                                             ...
Opera House, corner of Station Street, bottom of Mill Hill, 1900

254
Left, blacksmith shop (later, an IGA grocery store, now closed);
right, Raeoil Building (now Downhill Grill), bottom of Mi...
George Chellis house, next to Lamb Lumber, ca. 1900

256
Cummings boarding house, later W. Wells building, top of Mill Hill

                                                      ...
Mill Pond, 1900




258
Mill Hill, 1905 (note electric lines). Large building is
 Weston, Bull & Mihill, above the Raeoil Building

              ...
Placid Lake
View of Paradox Bay from Mount Whitney

                                         263
Yacht Club

264
Boating at Undercliff, 1895

                              265
Up the lake, 1903

266
The Carry (from Placid to Mirror lake), 1903

                                               267
Sailboat, 1903

268
The Doris
The Stevens House hotel atop Signal Hill had a large and well-stocked boathouse on
Placid Lake’s Paradox Bay. Of distinct ...
The launching of the Doris from the Stevens House boathouse in 1898.

272
The Doris cruising on Placid Lake, ca. 1900.

                                               273
The crew of the Doris, ca. 1912.

274
The Doris, ca. 1910.

                       275
Early churches
“Father” Cyrus
Comstock, a
Congregationalist
circuit rider who
served North
Elba’s First
Colony, along
with every other
se...
Worship services were held in various places in early North Elba —
      Osgood’s Inn, the Little Red School — until 1875,...
Another shot of the Old White Church, then located on
 the corner of Church Street and Old Military Road.


              ...
After the Baptist (1882) and Methodist Episcopal (1888) churches built their
        own worship houses in the developing ...
The Lake Placid Grange, which formed in 1908, bought the White Church building
  in 1929. After the Grange dissolved, the ...
The Adirondack Baptist Church was built in 1882. Its site is next to the municipal
         parking lot, directly across M...
Another shot of the Baptist church, from behind, looking out
over Mirror Lake. The building was torn down about 1953.

   ...
Rev. Otis Dike, pastor of the Baptist church from 1898 to 1918, standing on the steps of the church.
The Baptist parsonage...
The first Methodist Episcopal church building was a wooden
   frame structure that was dedicated on Aug. 23, 1888.

      ...
Another shot of the Methodist church building, taken around 1900. The old
       wooden building was sold and moved to Sch...
In front of the old Methodist church after Sunday services, ca. 1914.

                                                   ...
The tree outside
      the old Methodist
      church building
      was decorated
      with lights at
      Christmastim...
Lake Placid’s first Catholic church, St. Agnes, was built in 1896. The current address of that
  location is 2487 Main Str...
St. Eustace-by-the-Lakes Episcopal Church, ca.1901. The building, completed in
      the early spring of 1900, stood on Pl...
The Episcopal Parish House, built in 1901. Its current address is
2515 Main Street. The Parish House served as a community...
Interior, Episcopal Parish Hall

294
Camp Irondequoit (“Where the Waves Breathe and Die”), built on the East Lake around 1900
by the Rev. W.W. Moir, the Episco...
St. Hubert’s Episcopal Church, Sentinel Road, Newman. Designed by architect William
      G. Distin, it was built in 1902....
Schools
Christmas card showing Little Red Schoolhouse at the Newman Road site

                                                   ...
Lake Placid Union School class picture, June 14, 1899

300
Lake Placid “wooden high school,” ca. 1915

                                             301
Roads
Cascade Road stagecoach, 1870

                                305
Mrs. MacKenzie identified this as a 19th century photo of the Cascade Road. Ed Palen,
      however, believes that it show...
Wilmington Road, winter


                          307
Wilmington Road, 1903

308
John Brown
The headstone of John Brown’s grandfather, a Revolutionary War veteran, was brought to North
Elba by his grandson. “Our” J...
Two portraits of Gerrit Smith, the benefactor of North Elba’s black colony. John Brown first
  came to North Elba in 1849 ...
North Elba’s
Thompson family
became closely
tied to that of
John Brown, both
by marriage and
by their mutual
hatred of sla...
Henry Thompson,
      John Brown’s
      son-in-law, was
      wounded in the
      Kansas “Free
      State” skirmishes,
...
William
Thompson was
slaughtered by a
mob after being
taken captive at
Harper’s Ferry.




                   315
Labeled “Isabell
      and Watson
      Brown,” this
      photo shows
      Belle Thompson
      Brown, widow of
      Jo...
John Brown’s house in North Elba, ca. 1880.

                                              317
Two more photos taken around 1880.




318
In this 1899 photo at the Brown cemetery, 12 more of the men killed
 in the Harper’s Ferry raid are being reburied alongsi...
Moving pictures
Set for “Out of the Snows.” In February 1920, the Selznick Company shot “Out of
the Snows” on Lake Placid in the lee of Pu...
After the burning of the “Pole Star” in “Out of the Snows.”


324
On the set of “Janice Meredith,” by far the most legendary film made at Placid. A famous
Revolutionary War tale, it starre...
Farming
Farm on Adirondack Lodge Road, 1878

                                      329
Buck and Star, members of an ox team

330
Bennett farm, Cascade Road, 1880

                                   331
Old Ware farm

332
Farm on Old Military Road opposite North Elba Cemetery

                                                         333
Lake Placid Club
Albert Billings’ farmhouse on the east side of Mirror Lake, built in the 1870s, was sold to
  John Fraser in the later 188...
In 1895, Melvil Dewey leased Bonnieblink for the summer as part of
           his new Placid Park Club. The following Febr...
Melvil Dewey,
creator of the
Lake Placid Club




                   339
A hand-tinted postcard, 1905

340
The Lake Placid Club boathouse

                                 341
The Iroquois Council Fire, an annual end-of-summer
        LPC ritual, was held each Labor Day weekend.

342
The Lake Placid Club’s “Morningside” campus, on the eastern shore of Mirror Lake, ca. 1905.

                             ...
The Lake Placid Club’s Mohawk clubhouse, located on the south side of the
       Wilmington Road. Built around 1850 by Ros...
Circa 1906.




              345
The LPC’s Stanley Steamer at the Lake Placid Club Chicken Farm.

346
Placid at war
World War I draftees

                       349
WWI Welcome Home parade, July 4, 1919

350
More WWI Welcome Home festivities, July 4, 1919

                                                  351
New York Gov. Thomas Dewey, second from left, front, visits Lake Placid during the Army
    occupation, 1944; also in phot...
New York Gov. Thomas Dewey, center, and Luke Perkins, riding shotgun

                                                    ...
Miscellaneous personages
Polly and Thomas
Brewster, parents
of Benjamin
Brewster, one of
the two original
settlers of the
village of Lake
Placid. T...
In 1850, John
      Thompson was
      elected as the first
      supervisor of the
      new North Elba
      township.

...
Jerod Taylor
Rosman, better
known as Jed,
seated on the
steps of the
Adirondak Loj.
Rosman became
very well-known
in North...
Calvin Coolidge visiting Saranac Lake, 1926

360
George Stevens,
younger brother
and partner of
John Stevens,
proprietors of the
Stevens House.
George Stevens
was also the...
Miscellaneous
“Camping in the Adirondacks,” 1870

                                     365
Lake Placid
      guides, late 19th
      century




366
1906 three-panel postcard: St. Agnes Catholic
Church (No. 2), the Doris, and the Lake Placid Inn

                        ...
Fred Fortune’s camp at the end of Bear Cub Road was once a speakeasy called “The Bear
   Cub.” It’s not certain whether th...
Unidentified child, 1890s

                            369
Staff of the (Lake Placid) Mountain Mirror, predecessor of the Lake Placid News. The first
    issue was published Dec. 8,...
Polo team, late 1920s

                        371
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)

2,391 views

Published on

This is the largest, most comprehensive collection in existence of images depicting the history of Lake Placid, consisting of the 333 historic slides compiled by the late public historian Mary MacKenzie, digitally restored by Lee Manchester. TO PURCHASE A BOUND, PRINT EDITION, GO TO http://stores.lulu.com/marymackenzie

Published in: Education, Spiritual, Business
1 Comment
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • found this most interesting and was supsrised and happy as I found a picture of my Grandfathear Jed Rosman sitting on the steps of Adirondack Lodge where he was a guide. Being only 4 when he died I do not remember him.
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
No Downloads
Views
Total views
2,391
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
21
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
23
Comments
1
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Photos from the Plains of Abraham (Part 2 of 2)

  1. 1. The village
  2. 2. 1890 postcard showing view from Signal Hill looking toward village 219
  3. 3. The view down Mirror Lake, ca. 1890 220
  4. 4. Another view down Mirror Lake, ca. 1890 221
  5. 5. Boating on Mirror Lake, ca. 1900 222
  6. 6. A small group of business buildings that once stood at the intersection of Main Street and Mirror Lake Drive at the base of Saranac Avenue, shot around 1920. The lot is now a small village park. 223
  7. 7. The same small complex, from the lake. The first of these buildings, on the right, was built between 1898 and 1909. In 1920, that building housed a beauty supply shop, Maison de Venus. A small produce shop, the Tampa Fruit Co., was opened in 1919 in the building on the left end. 224
  8. 8. Upper village, at turn off Main Street onto Saranac Avenue, 1903 225
  9. 9. Main Street coach, 1900 226
  10. 10. Lake Placid Transfer Company coach, 1907 227
  11. 11. Old Town Clock Livery (current address 2541 Main Street). In 1903, the Devlin Block of shops and apartments was built on this site. 228
  12. 12. Paving Main Street with brick, 1921 229
  13. 13. Building Hillcrest Avenue 230
  14. 14. Ready to pave with brick, 1921 231
  15. 15. Main Street … paved! 232
  16. 16. Although street paving was completed in 1921, that didn’t mean snow didn’t still muck up the streets of Lake Placid. (Photo dated 1926) 233
  17. 17. Early snow roller 234
  18. 18. Brownell shooting gallery, 1895 [later, Kaiser Photo] 235
  19. 19. The top of Main Street, 1901 — Brownell & Kaiser Photo on right 236
  20. 20. Henry Kaiser’s photo shop, ca. 1903 237
  21. 21. Henry Kaiser and Mrs. W.W. Brownell 238
  22. 22. Main Street boardwalk; Lake Placid Public Library in background 239
  23. 23. Lake Placid Public Library, 1903 240
  24. 24. Program for the Happy Hour Theater, built in 1911 [current street address, 2523 Main Street] — expanded in the 1920s — now The Wanda, an apartment building 241
  25. 25. First North Elba Town Hall, 1910; built 1908 242
  26. 26. Theater in old Town Hall, 1910 243
  27. 27. Old Town Hall after fire, Feb. 11, 1915 244
  28. 28. Lake Placid Military Band posing in front of the new Town Hall 245
  29. 29. Newman
  30. 30. The dam and sawmill on Mill Pond, 1885, which drove the development of what many thought of as a separate village to the south of Lake Placid — Newman. 249
  31. 31. Horatio Hinckley, builder of the house (in the early 1840s) later occupied by Anna Newman (1875) at Heaven Hill. 250
  32. 32. Anna Newman’s house at Heaven Hill, 1885 251
  33. 33. Anna Newman 252
  34. 34. G.G. White general store, corner of Station Street and Mill Hill road, 1886 253
  35. 35. Opera House, corner of Station Street, bottom of Mill Hill, 1900 254
  36. 36. Left, blacksmith shop (later, an IGA grocery store, now closed); right, Raeoil Building (now Downhill Grill), bottom of Mill Hill, ca. 1900 255
  37. 37. George Chellis house, next to Lamb Lumber, ca. 1900 256
  38. 38. Cummings boarding house, later W. Wells building, top of Mill Hill 257
  39. 39. Mill Pond, 1900 258
  40. 40. Mill Hill, 1905 (note electric lines). Large building is Weston, Bull & Mihill, above the Raeoil Building 259
  41. 41. Placid Lake
  42. 42. View of Paradox Bay from Mount Whitney 263
  43. 43. Yacht Club 264
  44. 44. Boating at Undercliff, 1895 265
  45. 45. Up the lake, 1903 266
  46. 46. The Carry (from Placid to Mirror lake), 1903 267
  47. 47. Sailboat, 1903 268
  48. 48. The Doris
  49. 49. The Stevens House hotel atop Signal Hill had a large and well-stocked boathouse on Placid Lake’s Paradox Bay. Of distinct advantage to them was the busy little fleet of pleasure boats owned and operated by a third brother, Henry Stevens, whose Ida, Nereid and grand old Doris plied the lake waters to the delight of tourists. 271
  50. 50. The launching of the Doris from the Stevens House boathouse in 1898. 272
  51. 51. The Doris cruising on Placid Lake, ca. 1900. 273
  52. 52. The crew of the Doris, ca. 1912. 274
  53. 53. The Doris, ca. 1910. 275
  54. 54. Early churches
  55. 55. “Father” Cyrus Comstock, a Congregationalist circuit rider who served North Elba’s First Colony, along with every other settlement in early Essex County. He came to the Adirondacks in 1810, settling in Lewis. He is reputedly the inventor of the Comstock wagon. He died in 1853 and is buried in the Lewis cemetery. 279
  56. 56. Worship services were held in various places in early North Elba — Osgood’s Inn, the Little Red School — until 1875, when the Union Church was built. It was familiarly known as the White Church. 280
  57. 57. Another shot of the Old White Church, then located on the corner of Church Street and Old Military Road. 281
  58. 58. After the Baptist (1882) and Methodist Episcopal (1888) churches built their own worship houses in the developing village of Lake Placid, the White Church building was used by various congregations until shortly after 1915. 282
  59. 59. The Lake Placid Grange, which formed in 1908, bought the White Church building in 1929. After the Grange dissolved, the building stood empty for years. It was bought in 1988 by Trinity Chapel, an independent congregation, and moved to its present site, directly behind the Jewish cemetery on Old Military Road. 283
  60. 60. The Adirondack Baptist Church was built in 1882. Its site is next to the municipal parking lot, directly across Main Street from the former Bank of Lake Placid (now an NBT Bank branch). It was torn down in the 1950s to make way for a new Nazarene church, which was abandoned in the early 2000s. 284
  61. 61. Another shot of the Baptist church, from behind, looking out over Mirror Lake. The building was torn down about 1953. 285
  62. 62. Rev. Otis Dike, pastor of the Baptist church from 1898 to 1918, standing on the steps of the church. The Baptist parsonage, built in 1888 next door to and behind the church (to the north), later became the parsonage of a Nazarene church built in 1956. The Nazarene parsonage was sold along with the church in 2005 to the Adirondack Museum; the parsonage was demolished in 2006. 286
  63. 63. The first Methodist Episcopal church building was a wooden frame structure that was dedicated on Aug. 23, 1888. 287
  64. 64. Another shot of the Methodist church building, taken around 1900. The old wooden building was sold and moved to School Street on Nov. 2, 1923, to make way for the construction of the current building, built of stone. At this writing (in 2008), the old building serves as a sports bar called “Wise Guys.” 288
  65. 65. In front of the old Methodist church after Sunday services, ca. 1914. 289
  66. 66. The tree outside the old Methodist church building was decorated with lights at Christmastime. “The Methodist tree” stood there for many years, until it started dying and had to be removed in 2005. 290
  67. 67. Lake Placid’s first Catholic church, St. Agnes, was built in 1896. The current address of that location is 2487 Main Street. The building was desanctified in 1905 when the second St. Agnes was opened on Saranac Avenue at the church’s current location. The steeple was removed from the former sanctuary on Main Street in 1906 after it became a hardware store. 291
  68. 68. St. Eustace-by-the-Lakes Episcopal Church, ca.1901. The building, completed in the early spring of 1900, stood on Placid Lake; the location is now the lower lawn of George and Ruth Hart’s Signal Hill home. The building was later dismantled and rebuilt on Main Street. The new building was dedicated on June 19, 1927. 292
  69. 69. The Episcopal Parish House, built in 1901. Its current address is 2515 Main Street. The Parish House served as a community center for the new village, not just for Episcopalians but for everyone. 293
  70. 70. Interior, Episcopal Parish Hall 294
  71. 71. Camp Irondequoit (“Where the Waves Breathe and Die”), built on the East Lake around 1900 by the Rev. W.W. Moir, the Episcopal minister also responsible for building the Parish House. Camp Irondequoit provided spiritual and physical recreation for boys. (Photo W.F. Cheesman) 295
  72. 72. St. Hubert’s Episcopal Church, Sentinel Road, Newman. Designed by architect William G. Distin, it was built in 1902. It was sold to the Pilgrim Holiness congregation in 1927. The building burned on Feb. 10, 1954, but was rebuilt upon similar design features. 296
  73. 73. Schools
  74. 74. Christmas card showing Little Red Schoolhouse at the Newman Road site 299
  75. 75. Lake Placid Union School class picture, June 14, 1899 300
  76. 76. Lake Placid “wooden high school,” ca. 1915 301
  77. 77. Roads
  78. 78. Cascade Road stagecoach, 1870 305
  79. 79. Mrs. MacKenzie identified this as a 19th century photo of the Cascade Road. Ed Palen, however, believes that it shows the road coming out of Elizabethtown, about half-way toward Keene. Palen says, “The peak on the right is called Pitch-off, as is the more famous Pitch-off in Cascade Pass. That must be where the confusion came from.” 306
  80. 80. Wilmington Road, winter 307
  81. 81. Wilmington Road, 1903 308
  82. 82. John Brown
  83. 83. The headstone of John Brown’s grandfather, a Revolutionary War veteran, was brought to North Elba by his grandson. “Our” John Brown’s death, however, and that of his son Oliver, are recorded on the lower part of the grandfather’s stone. Today, this marker is enclosed in a glass housing. 311
  84. 84. Two portraits of Gerrit Smith, the benefactor of North Elba’s black colony. John Brown first came to North Elba in 1849 to help this colony of free-born African-American tradesmen, almost all of them born in the state of New York, as they tried their hands at farming. 312
  85. 85. North Elba’s Thompson family became closely tied to that of John Brown, both by marriage and by their mutual hatred of slavery. This is a photo of Dauphin Thompson, killed at age 21 on John Brown’s raid at Harper’s Ferry. 313
  86. 86. Henry Thompson, John Brown’s son-in-law, was wounded in the Kansas “Free State” skirmishes, but he did not participate in the Harper’s Ferry raid. Henry built John Brown’s house for his family, which stands today at the John Brown Farm State Historic Site. 314
  87. 87. William Thompson was slaughtered by a mob after being taken captive at Harper’s Ferry. 315
  88. 88. Labeled “Isabell and Watson Brown,” this photo shows Belle Thompson Brown, widow of John Brown’s son Watson, and her son, Frederick W. Brown, better known as Freddy. Freddy died of diphtheria at the age of 4 and is buried in the North Elba Cemetery. 316
  89. 89. John Brown’s house in North Elba, ca. 1880. 317
  90. 90. Two more photos taken around 1880. 318
  91. 91. In this 1899 photo at the Brown cemetery, 12 more of the men killed in the Harper’s Ferry raid are being reburied alongside their leader. 319
  92. 92. Moving pictures
  93. 93. Set for “Out of the Snows.” In February 1920, the Selznick Company shot “Out of the Snows” on Lake Placid in the lee of Pulpit Rock, with Whiteface as a backdrop. In this dramatic framework, the ship “Pole Star” lies marooned in “Arctic” ice. 323
  94. 94. After the burning of the “Pole Star” in “Out of the Snows.” 324
  95. 95. On the set of “Janice Meredith,” by far the most legendary film made at Placid. A famous Revolutionary War tale, it starred the delectable Marion Davies, close companion of William Randolph Hearst, and was produced by Cosmopolitan to the tune of a million dollars. 325
  96. 96. Farming
  97. 97. Farm on Adirondack Lodge Road, 1878 329
  98. 98. Buck and Star, members of an ox team 330
  99. 99. Bennett farm, Cascade Road, 1880 331
  100. 100. Old Ware farm 332
  101. 101. Farm on Old Military Road opposite North Elba Cemetery 333
  102. 102. Lake Placid Club
  103. 103. Albert Billings’ farmhouse on the east side of Mirror Lake, built in the 1870s, was sold to John Fraser in the later 1880s. Fraser operated it as a boardinghouse, which he called “Bonnieblink,” visible on the far side of the lake, at center, in this 1890 photograph. 337
  104. 104. In 1895, Melvil Dewey leased Bonnieblink for the summer as part of his new Placid Park Club. The following February, he bought Bonnieblink. Following expansions, it became the Lakeside clubhouse. 338
  105. 105. Melvil Dewey, creator of the Lake Placid Club 339
  106. 106. A hand-tinted postcard, 1905 340
  107. 107. The Lake Placid Club boathouse 341
  108. 108. The Iroquois Council Fire, an annual end-of-summer LPC ritual, was held each Labor Day weekend. 342
  109. 109. The Lake Placid Club’s “Morningside” campus, on the eastern shore of Mirror Lake, ca. 1905. 343
  110. 110. The Lake Placid Club’s Mohawk clubhouse, located on the south side of the Wilmington Road. Built around 1850 by Roswell Thompson, it was acquired in the late 1890s by the Isham family, who operated it as the Placid Heights Inn. The building was purchased by the Club in January 1906, and was immediately enlarged. 344
  111. 111. Circa 1906. 345
  112. 112. The LPC’s Stanley Steamer at the Lake Placid Club Chicken Farm. 346
  113. 113. Placid at war
  114. 114. World War I draftees 349
  115. 115. WWI Welcome Home parade, July 4, 1919 350
  116. 116. More WWI Welcome Home festivities, July 4, 1919 351
  117. 117. New York Gov. Thomas Dewey, second from left, front, visits Lake Placid during the Army occupation, 1944; also in photo are Willis Wells, Deo Colburn, Mayor Luke Perkins 352
  118. 118. New York Gov. Thomas Dewey, center, and Luke Perkins, riding shotgun 353
  119. 119. Miscellaneous personages
  120. 120. Polly and Thomas Brewster, parents of Benjamin Brewster, one of the two original settlers of the village of Lake Placid. They are buried in the North Elba Cemetery. 357
  121. 121. In 1850, John Thompson was elected as the first supervisor of the new North Elba township. 358
  122. 122. Jerod Taylor Rosman, better known as Jed, seated on the steps of the Adirondak Loj. Rosman became very well-known in North Elba during his reign as head guide at the Loj from 1920 to 1936. His specialty was Mount Marcy and Indian Pass. As a conservationist, Rosman took great pride in reforestation projects around Heart Lake. 359
  123. 123. Calvin Coolidge visiting Saranac Lake, 1926 360
  124. 124. George Stevens, younger brother and partner of John Stevens, proprietors of the Stevens House. George Stevens was also the founding president of the Bank of Lake Placid. 361
  125. 125. Miscellaneous
  126. 126. “Camping in the Adirondacks,” 1870 365
  127. 127. Lake Placid guides, late 19th century 366
  128. 128. 1906 three-panel postcard: St. Agnes Catholic Church (No. 2), the Doris, and the Lake Placid Inn 367
  129. 129. Fred Fortune’s camp at the end of Bear Cub Road was once a speakeasy called “The Bear Cub.” It’s not certain whether the road was named for the watering hole, or vice versa. 368
  130. 130. Unidentified child, 1890s 369
  131. 131. Staff of the (Lake Placid) Mountain Mirror, predecessor of the Lake Placid News. The first issue was published Dec. 8, 1893, but the paper didn’t last for much longer than a year. 370
  132. 132. Polo team, late 1920s 371

×