• Must be sprayed directly on the bed bugs
(‘kills on contact’)
• Most bugs are hiding and WILL NOT be
• Little or no residual activity (the chemical
breaks down quickly)
Grocery store insect sprays won’t
eliminate a bed bug infestation!
Some Basics of Bed Bug
• There is no single “magic bullet”.
• Bed bug control typically takes
• It is important to use several different
formulations, and often, several
• A residual insecticide is necessary.
• Don’t keep using the same
insecticide (rotate insecticide use)
University of Kentucky Laboratory Study
August 31, 2012
on IGR’s and
By: Mark H.
Average number of eggs laid by adult bed bugs of
two different strains reared from third-instar
nymphs on surfaces treated with 2x or 3x label
concentrations of Gentrol and water (control).
Gentrol (an IGR) affected some bed bugs, but
only at very high rates (not legally allowed)!
and don’t let the …
… well, you know the rest