Slides for my June 9, 2018 presentation at #RAREontheRoad in Houston, TX. This is the first in a series of three workshops this summer sponsored by GlobalGenes and the Every Life Foundation for Rare Diseases.
From Connection to Engagement & Action
In today’s presentation, we’ll explore how you can:
• Reach and engage your ideal audience
• Build a social media strategy that works
• Drive traffic to your website or blog
• Learn, inform and influence
Photo: Jenn Sprung
we live our lives.”
~ Kathy Kastner
… is the use of technology combined with
social interaction to
Strategy: Ws & an H
• Why do you want to use social media?
• Who do you want to connect with and why?
• Where are they?
• What do you want to learn, share, influence?
• What do you want them to do and feel?
• How do they want to engage?
Social media strategy
• Messaging (call to action)
How do you want them to feel?
What do you want them to do?
• Measure for success
• Converse with “harder to reach” people and
organizations, network with people you otherwise don’t
have access to
• Learn the language of the people you wish to connect
• Find people where they are and when they are there
Home Base and SEO
• Free blog on wordpress.com
• Upgrade options
• Powerful SEO benefits
• Link from social accounts and
embed assets (e.g. videos,
Measure for success
• Unlimited measurement opportunities in digital
• Focus on those that relate to strategy and goals
• Clicks, comments, engagements
• Traffic or unique visitors to home base
• Email newsletter sign-ups/Activists recruited
• Content shares
• Identify why, what, who, where and how.
• Plan for success.
• Never go it alone. Collaborate.
• Be creative.
• Measure, evaluate and course correct.
• Learn and plan again.
The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network
The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network (#MCSMN) exists to
improve health globally by accelerating effective application of
social media tools throughout Mayo Clinic and spurring broader
and deeper engagement in social media by hospitals, medical
professionals and patients.
Our Mission: Lead the social media revolution in health care,
contributing to health and well being for people everywhere.
Makes resources developed for Mayo Clinic staff available to
peers, and generates revenue to support mission.
#MCSMN: A Catalyst for Health Care Social Media
Free Basic Membership or Discounted Premium
Membership for Patient/Caregiver Advocates
Special RARE on the ROAD Offer!
Social for Healthcare Certificate from Mayo Clinic and Hootsuite
Mayo Clinic Social Media Network