From Connection to Engagement & Action
In today’s presentation, we’ll explore how you can:
• Reach and engage your ideal audience
• Build a social media strategy that works
• Drive traffic to your website or blog
• Learn, inform and influence
What about you?
What would you most like to learn about social media today?
“By the end of the 1920s Dr. Will could
say he had studied surgery in every town
in America and Canada of one hundred
thousand population or more, and had
crossed the Atlantic thirty times.”
(The Doctors Mayo, Helen Clapesattle, p. 405)
Countries Dr. Will Mayo Visited
Austria Denmark Ireland Scotland
Australia England Italy Sweden
Argentina Fiji Mexico Switzerland
Belgium Finland New Zealand Uruguay
Canada France Norway
Chile Germany Peru
Cuba Holland Russia
… and is part of the DNA of
Social Networking is part of
Mayo Clinic’s DNA…
… is the use of technology combined with
social interaction to
Strategy: 5 Ws & an H
• Who do you want to connect with and why?
• Where are they?
• What do you want them to do and feel? What do you
want to learn, share, influence?
• When are they most likely to be online?
• How do they want to engage?
Goal: Why do you want to use social media?
• What do you want to accomplish?
• How will you know you’ve succeeded?
Audience: Who do you want to reach?
• Who do you want to influence?
• Elected officials
• Others with the disease
• Social media influencers
P.S. Everybody is not a good answer.
Get to know them
• Converse with “harder to reach” people and
organizations; network with people you otherwise
don’t have access to
• Learn the language of the people you wish to
• Find people where they are and when they are there
Where are they? Choosing the right platform
• Is your audience already using it?
• Does it have the communication capabilities you need?
• Do you have the time to manage it?
Social Media Use 2018
• 73% of U.S. adults use YouTube
• 68% are Facebook users
• Not the whole story
Pew Research Center, March 2018, “Social Media Use in 2018” http://www.pewinternet.org/2018/03/01/social-media-use-in-2018/
• Free blog setup and hosting on
• Upgrade options
• Powerful SEO benefits
• Link from social accounts and
embed assets (e.g. videos,
Measure for success
• Unlimited measurement opportunities in digital
• Focus on those that relate to strategy and goals
• Clicks, comments, engagements
• Traffic or unique visitors to home base
• Email newsletter sign-ups/Activists recruited
• Content shares
• Identify why, what, who, where and how.
• Plan for success.
• Never go it alone. Collaborate.
• Be creative.
• Measure, evaluate and course correct.
• Learn and plan again.