What’s coming in the next 45 minutes…
• Must-have digital skills and ways of thinking that will
ensure your effectiveness, relevance and leadership
• 7 Principles to apply in a future we can't predict (and
how they have factored in our Mayo Clinic journey)
• 14 books (and one podcast) that will prepare you for
• Recent Mayo Clinic innovations and opportunities
Or stated poetically…
I’ll share the trends that I’ve observed,
and books that I have read or heard
at least two times, but generally more.
I’ll link you to the Audible store.
While the future I cannot foretell
these principles will serve you well.
Principle 1: Extrapolation is the best starting point
Once Upon a Time, Three Networks Dominated
the Media Landscape in the United States
... while local affiliates and newspapers sold scarce
audience access at monopoly prices
Then one day Ted Turner launched the cable TV
And one of these guys invented the Internet...
The means of news production and distribution
Twin revolutions fragmented audiences, causing
major economic upheaval
• Hundreds of cable channels, exponential growth in
• Mass media came under economic pressure leading to
• Demise of TV doctor
Until finally, the Big 3 TV share of audience
Big Three Others
Facebook went public at 20x the value of The Wall
WSJ (2007) ABC (1995) Facebook (2012)
…and has more than quadrupled since 2012
WSJ (2007) ABC (1995) Facebook (2012) Facebook (2017)
Principle 2: Improbable and unpredictable
events will have outsized influence in your life
“(In 1905) McClure’s Magazine…recounted
the story of that country doctor and his
brother, and of St. Mary’s Hospital, which
handled more surgical cases annually than
any other hospital in the United States,
more than even the great Johns Hopkins.”
(The Doctors Mayo, Helen Clapesattle, p. 289)
Understanding Disruptive Innovation
• High-end products add features
most customers can’t use
• Incumbents cede low end to “not
good enough” entrants
• Low end, competing with non-
consumption, gradually improves
• High end fails suddenly as upstarts
become “more than good enough”
More than Skill
• Speaking - Vocabulary secondary to basic grammar
• Digital Production - shooting, editing and streaming
video, and photography/images
• Writing - represents you when you’re not present
• Use Active Voice!
• Avoid cliches like the plague!
The Two Basic Mindsets
• Fixed: “Performance reveals my ability and IQ. Others
recognize these traits in me and value my
accomplishments.” (I’m smart!)
• Growth: “I can change abilities significantly. If I can’t do
something now, I probably just haven’t worked hard
enough at it yet.” (I can learn!)
• Your presence today is a step toward adopting or
reinforcing a more growth-oriented mindset.
The Growth Mindset of
Mayo Clinic’s First Social Networkers
Dr. William J. Mayo’s Travels
“By the end of the 1920s Dr. Will could
say he had studied surgery in every town
in America and Canada of one hundred
thousand population or more, and had
crossed the Atlantic thirty times.”
(The Doctors Mayo, Helen Clapesattle, p. 405)
Countries Dr. Will Mayo Visited
Austria Denmark Ireland Scotland
Australia England Italy Sweden
Argentina Fiji Mexico Switzerland
Belgium Finland New Zealand Uruguay
Canada France Norway
Chile Germany Peru
Cuba Holland Russia
Principle 4: The Growth Mindset Creates
My Personal Preparation and Positioning
• Buying an Apple IIe in 1986 and a Mac SE/30 in 1989, and
4th Dimension database software on clearance
• CompuServe and AOL, and telecommuting via fax (1994)
• Buying miniDV digital video camera
• Lines from Lee wordpress.com blog in 2006 (eventually
became Social Media University, Global (SMUG)
• Becoming a monthly Audible subscriber
Managing Media Mania w/Conjoined Twins
• Collect. Process. Review. Do.
• The Creative Catalyst of Inbox Zero
• The Two-Minute Rule
• “Is this actionable?”
• What’s the next action?
A Series of Improbable Events
• Carlsen Twins Separation and Star Tribune relationship
• Coffee with Maura and May
• Following me for a day, including Tweetcamp
• CNN story on Henry Ford Hospital Twitter surgery
• A call from ABC News Medical Unit…
• Novelty is overrated and
can be a hindrance.
• When promoting
similarity with the
familiar and continuity
with the past.
… and is part of the DNA of
Social Networking is part of
Mayo Clinic’s DNA…
The Surgeons Club
for Social Media in Healthcare
#MCSMN: A Catalyst for Health Care Social Media
• Best Practices
The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network
• The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network (#MCSMN) exists to
improve health globally by accelerating effective application of
social media tools throughout Mayo Clinic and spurring broader
and deeper engagement in social media by hospitals, medical
professionals and patients.
• Our Mission: Lead the social media revolution in health care,
contributing to health and well being for people everywhere.
• Makes resources developed for Mayo Clinic staff available to
peers, and generates revenue to support mission.
1.Extrapolation is the best starting point for prediction.
2.Improbable and unpredictable events will have outsized influence in your
3.Mindset Matters more than Skill Sets.
4.The Growth Mindset Creates Optionality
6.Develop a “Barbell” Risk Profile
7.Pursue Personal Growth
Tweetable Truths on Skill Sets and Mindset
Let’s Keep Talking!
Lee Aase (@LeeAase)
Mayo Clinic Social Media Network (#MCSMN)