• Mayo Clinic Social Media DNA and #MCSMN
• Starting with Strategy
• PAID: A Four-Letter Word, but not a Dirty One
• Preview of Full Residency, and #MCSMN Trial Membership
• Case Study and Fellow Progression
Insights from yesterday…
• Start where you are
• Do something that is practical and doable
• Don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good
• Don’t just focus on med students - also Residency and CME
• Teach med students in an intra-professional environment
• What are the basic communications skills we need?
“(In 1905) McClure’s Magazine…recounted
the story of that country doctor and his
brother, and of St. Mary’s Hospital, which
handled more surgical cases annually than
any other hospital in the United States,
more than even the great Johns Hopkins.”
(The Doctors Mayo, Helen Clapesattle, p. 289)
“By the end of the 1920s Dr. Will could
say he had studied surgery in every town
in America and Canada of one hundred
thousand population or more, and had
crossed the Atlantic thirty times.”
(The Doctors Mayo, Helen Clapesattle, p. 405)
Countries Dr. Will Mayo Visited
Austria Denmark Ireland Scotland
Australia England Italy Sweden
Argentina Fiji Mexico Switzerland
Belgium Finland New Zealand Uruguay
Canada France Norway
Chile Germany Peru
Cuba Holland Russia
Strategic Investment in 2010
• Established Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media,
adding social media staff in MN, AZ and FL
• Created Social Media Health Network to connect
with and serve colleagues elsewhere
• Both are now combined as the Mayo Clinic Social
Media Network (#MCSMN)
Communications & Marketing Self-Diagnosis
Through the Years
• 1970s - “I need a Yellow Pages ad!”
• 1980s - “I need a billboard!”
• 1990s - “I need a brochure!”
• 2000s - “I need an email campaign!”
• 2010s - “I need a Facebook Page!”
• Strategy: Reaching out to Who and Why
• Tactics: When and How to connect, and What to say
• Tools: Where to make the connections
What happens when you choose Tools before
developing Strategy & Tactics?
Elements of Strategy Development
• Identifying Audience(s): Who do you reach now? Who
do you want to reach?
• Clarifying Goals: What do you want your audience(s) to
understand and do.
• Developing Messages: What are your main points?
What will cause the effect you seek?
Strategy Reality Check
• Audience(s): Defined accurately and precisely?
Accounted for differences within groups?
• Goal(s): Where do you want to be? By when?
Achievable? What are obstacles? Defined in a way that
can be measured?
• Messages: Are they clear and jargon-free? Actionable?
• Consistent with overall organizational strategy?
Develop an Integrated Plan
• Coordinate communications across all selected platforms
(e.g. social sites + email, print, direct mail, legacy media)
• Style and tone consistent across platforms
• Each platform invites engagement with every other
• Create a progression of engagement
Mayo Clinic’s Social Media Strategy(ies)
• Build on word-of-mouth tradition
• Reach global audiences where they are
• Create or deepen relationships with Mayo Clinic
The Surgeons Club
for Social Media in Healthcare
#MCSMN Vision, Mission, Strategy
• The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network (#MCSMN) exists to
improve health globally by accelerating effective application of
social media tools throughout Mayo Clinic and spurring broader
and deeper engagement in social media by hospitals, medical
professionals and patients.
• Our Mission: Lead the social media revolution in health care,
contributing to health and well being for people everywhere.
• Make resources developed for Mayo Clinic staff available to
peers, and generate revenue to support the effort.
#MCSMN: A Catalyst for Health Care Social Media
• Best Practices
Social for Healthcare Certificate from Mayo Clinic and Hootsuite
• Front-line training for Mayo
Clinic staff interested in
social media applications
• Comprehensive in scope
but modular for flexible, à
la carte use
3.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM Available