• Analogies and Stories as Communications Essentials
• Mayo Clinic’s Social Networking DNA
• Facebook, Twitter and Mayo Clinic Connect
• Silver Force Circle Opportunities for Connection, Training
The Communication Power of Stories and
• Stories provide context
and emotional content
to help us remember
• Analogies (metaphors
and similes) help us
concepts in relation to
Dr. William J. Mayo’s Travels
“By the end of the 1920s Dr. Will could
say he had studied surgery in every town
in America and Canada of one hundred
thousand population or more, and had
crossed the Atlantic thirty times.”
(The Doctors Mayo, Helen Clapesattle, p. 405)
Countries Dr. Will Mayo Visited
Austria Denmark Ireland Scotland
Australia England Italy Sweden
Argentina Fiji Mexico Switzerland
Belgium Finland New Zealand Uruguay
Canada France Norway
Chile Germany Peru
Cuba Holland Russia
As I approaches 0,
Amplifying Word-of-Mouth Marketing
• 91% said “good things” about
Mayo Clinic after visits
• Average of 43 heard “good
• 86% recommended Mayo Clinic
• Average of 24 advised to
• Average of 6 actually came
Twitter by the Numbers
• 313M monthly active users, 82 percent on mobile
• 500 million tweets sent per day (6,000 per second)
• 1.3 billion accounts; only 550 million have sent a tweet
The Magic of Hashtags
• Invented by users, not by Twitter.
• Find and filter relevant streams from the Niagara Falls
that is Twitter.
• Organize conversations related to a topic (#coloncancer)
or a meeting (#MayoClinicEmeriti or #ACC17)
• See the Healthcare Hashtag Project on symplur.com for a
comprehensive list of disease and conference hashtags.
Five Top Uses for Twitter
• Curate news and become a thought leader, info source
• Save time by following key influencers in your niche
• Follow conferences/meetings without travel time, expense
• Contribute to sharing trustworthy health information to
counteract the bad.
• See 15 Reasons Twitter is Worth Physicians’ Time
Facebook is for your friends.
Twitter is for the friends you
don’t know yet.
Facebook vs. Twitter
46More about Connect Moderators and Volunteer Mentors
Mayo Clinic Connect
Members use the community to
• Understand their condition & help manage it
• Find out about treatment options, experts & care centers
• Get peer support to succeed in behavioral change
• Advocate and search for research
• And more
More than Marketing.
More than Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Charlie on Social Networking
The problem before us is so to exchange
information, and so to educate men through
travel that there shall develop a final,
cosmopolitan system of medicine which will
combine the best elements to be found in all
Mayo Aphorisms, p. 22
Dr. Will on Sharing Knowledge
It is a great thing to make scientific
discoveries of rare value, but it is even
greater to be willing to share these
discoveries and to encourage other
workers in the same field of scientific
Mayo Aphorisms, p. 61
The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network
• The Mayo Clinic Social Media Network (#MCSMN) exists to
improve health globally by accelerating effective application of
social media tools throughout Mayo Clinic and spurring broader
and deeper engagement in social media by hospitals, medical
professionals and patients.
• Our Mission: Lead the social media revolution in health care,
contributing to health and well being for people everywhere.
• Makes resources developed for Mayo Clinic staff available to
peers, and generates revenue to support mission.
#MCSMN: A Catalyst for Health Care Social Media
• Best Practices
Social for Healthcare Certificate from Mayo Clinic and Hootsuite
3.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM Available
Social Media Residency
• One-Day Advanced Course in Strategic Social Media
• Prerequisite: Social for Healthcare Certificate
• Upcoming Opportunities
• May 15 Rochester, Minn.
• Dec. 13 Scottsdale, Ariz.
• Join Mayo Clinic Connect using same login as MCSMN.
• Share your expertise and perspective in relevant groups.
• Share interesting Mayo news, quality health info via
Social Media Champions program.
• Follow Mayo Clinic on Twitter and LinkedIn, and Like on
Facebook. Share posts you find interesting with your