2. “There is no safety in numbers
or in anything else.”
3. Vain, Vainglorious Vanity:
Not Good for Business
• Vanity blinds you to a lack of
• It commits you to your original
vision without agility.
• It gets you invested in
appearances, not reality.
7. Notorious Vanity Metrics:
What Numbers Not To Use
• Pageviews • Percent Growth
• New Members • Conversion Rate
• Total Members • Twitter followers
• Unique visitors/visits • Facebook
8. “This is the way the world
ends, not with a bang but a
9. Characteristics of
• Measures success at your core business.
• Shows or directly relates to revenue.
• Tracks real, individual customers.
• Illustrates cause and effect.
• Leads you to what to do next.
10. “I’m not prepared for a zombie
apocalypse. I need more
bottled water, a shotgun,
and stronger abs.”
11. Your Four:
The Most Important Metrics
(The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse)
• Measure Relevant Revenue
• Measure Sales Volume
• Measure Customer Retention
• Measure Relevant Growth
12. “To see a world in a grain of
– William Blake
13. Find the Big Picture
in the Small Numbers
• Real Lean Startups Don’t Flinch
at Real Numbers
• Business Lessons are Life Lessons
• Vow to Give Up Vanity
• Make the Vision About More
Than Just the Numbers