LinkedIn – How to set up a basic profile
Outlined below are the steps that will take you through how to create a basic LinkedIn profile.
1. Open LinkedIn homepage either by 1) typing ‘LinkedIn’ into Google and clicking on their
suggestion or 2) type www.linkedin.com into address bar.
2. Start creating your profile right off of the LinkedIn home page by entering your first name, last
name, email, create your own password into the ‘Joined LinkedIn Today’ box and when finished,
click ‘Join Now’.
3. Select/Enter your employment status (under the dropdown box), your company, job title,
country, postal code and click ‘continue’.
4. Click on ‘Skip this step’ when they ask you to add connections. I would wait to add connections
until you have filled out your profile, added applications, and increased the content on your
5. Confirm your e-mail address by logging into your email account, opening the email from
LinkedIn and accepting the confirmation by clicking on ‘Click here’. You will be taken to a new
LinkedIn page that prompts your to click ‘Continue’. Click ‘Continue’.
6. Sign in by entering your email, your password and click ‘Sign In’.
7. Drag cursor over ‘Profile’ Tab of LinkedIn tool bar to unveil a drop-down list and click on the link
8. Begin entering your personal information from the top working your way down.
9. Click on ‘Edit’ next to you name and verify that everything is correct. If you make changes, click
on ‘Save Changes’, if you did not, click on ‘Go Back to Edit My Profile’.
10. Add photo by clicking on link labeled ‘Add Photo’ under portrait icon.
11. Click ‘Browse’ and navigate to the location of the photo on your computer, select it by clicking
‘Open’, and click ‘Upload Photo’.
12. Click ‘Edit’ next to current profile to add additional information such as ‘Time Period’ (when you
started) and description (enter your elevator pitch information) and click ‘Update’ when
13. Click ‘Add Past Position’ to enter work history and click ‘Save Changes’ when finished editing.
14. Click ‘Add Education’ to enter education history and click ‘Save Changes’ when finished editing.
15. Click ‘Add Website’ to add your existing social profiles. Click on drop down box and select
‘Other’ to add a title (this optimizes search engine), Type ‘Toronto Real Estate’ and type
‘www.suttonbayview.com’ Fill out additional information (as necessary) and click ‘Save Changes’
16. Click on ‘Add Summary’ Copy & Paste your pitch into the box labeled ‘Professional Experience &
Goals’ along with contact information (phone number and email address) and fill out
‘Specialties’ (as necessary) and click ‘Save Changes’ when finished.