Google & Free Music in China
• Free / Feels Like Free Music for China!
• Unlimited, unprotected downloads
• Paid with Attention, $-ized via Ads
• In China, little ‘cannibalization’ concerns
• Google is willing to ‘lubricate’
• Industry willing because: China is ‘lost’ for
A Trillion $ USD Marketing &
Advertising Spend will support
a lot of ‘free’ content
A global shift - everywhere
Egosystem: My stuff. My ideas. My
partners. My distribution. My
customers. My money.
ECOsystem: Our stuff. Our creations.
Our distribution. Our users. Our
revenues. Our sharing.
One of the very few places where this still works
The Browser is the new iPod
Forrester Research: quot;Increased adoption of mobile data packages and of connected,
dedicated portable media players like the iPod Touch are giving consumers on-the-
go access to previously PC-tethered streaming experiences... Ownership becomes
less important if the songs you want are available on demand and on the go.quot;
What IS the value of Content?
• Quickly changing ways of consumption
• Steep premiums for anything physical!
• Good electronic UI / UX finally
•Free = nobody pays actual $ anywhere
•Feels Like Free = the payment is bundled,
or hidden, or absorbed somewhere else, or
build-in; but: no individual payment decision
is required everytime
•Freemium = all users get a strong value free
of charge, but a certain percentage select to
buy a premium offer beyond the free level
•3rd party pays: someone else pays for my
usage because they want access to me (and