A holistic approach to cyber security is one that includes the threat actors, advance telemetry of the network and a defensive strategy that continuously adapts to the adversaries capability and threat landscape.
By collecting and analyzing network data via technologies such as NetFlow, organizations can obtain the security intelligence needed to fill in the gaps left by conventional tools and more effectively feed their OODA loop - a cyclical process for Observation, Orientation, Decision and Action. By embracing the OODA loop, and turning the network into a sensor grid for delivering key security information, organizations can dramatically improve their situational awareness, incident response and forensics procedures.
When you leave this session you will...
• Understand how the motives and techniques of online attackers have changed over the last couple of decades
• Realize why conventional security tools like firewalls and antivirus are no longer enough to fend off today’s advanced threats, and why more holistic cyber security strategies are needed
• Know about the “OODA loop” and how it can be applied to cyber security to protect IT infrastructure and data from advanced adversaries
• Understand how network data such as NetFlow can be cost-effectively collected and analyzed to feed and speed up your OODA loop
• Have a strategy for dramatically improving incident response and forensics