Johnson & Johnson’s ‘camp baby’; great
customer relationship management or a
public relations fiasco?
ABOUT CAMP BABY….
• On April 2, 2008 US- Based johnson & johnson , one of the largest
healthcare companies in the world organized a unique event called ‘camp
baby’ at its headquters in new Brunswick , new jersey.
• The three days event was designed for parenting community, where 56
most influential mommy bloggers from US participated.
• The purpose of this camp to build long lasting relationship with their
• J&j did not use the camp baby event as platform to sell any its producer
their main motive was to connect with core group of customer i.e. mothers.
• The participant got chance to interact with guest , doctors , and industry to
know about physical and mental healthcare.
• But the event received flak from servel mothers because it did not allow
babies to be the part of event.
• The camp was ended up bringing negative publicity.
•J&j one of the premier company founded by johnson brothers in 1887.
•The company was engaged in the manufacture and sale of health products in more
Than 57 countries more than 250 operation .
•J&j business was divided into 3 segments;
2- medical devices & diagnostics.
3- consumer products.
PHARMACEUTICALS includes drugs for family planning , mental illness, nervous
system and diseases this area generated 41% of sales.
MEDICAL DEVICES & DIAGONSTICS includes surgical and patient care
equipments and devices, diagnostics products and contact lenses and accounted for
35% of sales.
THE CONSUMER SEGMENT contributed 24% of sales includes J&J baby care
line, the Neutrogena skin and hair care line, Stayfree feminine.
•J&J launched baby centre LLC in 1997 it managed sites such as babycentre.com and
parentcenter.com was online sites for expectant mothers and new parents.
ADVERSTISEMENT TECHNIQUES …
• Servel companies where particularly attracted to social media and
word of mouth [wom] where people shared information about
products or services with friends.
• WOM advertising reached US$ 7 billion in 2007 and was expected
to increase to US$3.7 billion by 2011.
• The study revels that 80% of consumers trusted the suggestions of
family , friends and influential's persons more than they did
• J&J shifted a part of marketing budgets from traditional channels.
CAMP BABY …
• Once the timing was fixed the company started to invite blogger to
register. The registration was on a first come first serve basis.
• Priority was given to those who loved to share their experiences
online with others moms to learn the latest technology.
THE CAMP BABY EVENTS..
1. The camp was organized from April 2 to april4 2008 at new
Brunswick and free air tickets were provided and accommodated
in one of the top hotels.
2. At the end they have taken to them for shopping they could pick
J&J products for free.
3. And special prizes such as three days trip to the Beijing Olympics.
4. At the last this was followed by dinner, during which an event was
hosted by Nintendo company ltd.
5. j&j staff impressed the participants with theirs their hospitality
and pleasant attitude.
• It was the biggest drawback of the event was that it excluded
children from the camp.
• It was the bad public relations (PR) move by the company which
focused on the bond between children and the mother in their
• The company felt that the kids would make difficult for mothers to
attend and enjoy the camp.
• As the event was conduct on weekdays, many off invitees could not
make it to the event.