• Lakshmi Sankaran
• Project Expert @ SAP Labs India
✪Passionate about products (creative, innovative & new product development)
✪I have been in enterprise data warehouse and customer relation ship based software development since 2000 with
SAP in various technical, leadership and business roles, before started coaching in Agile methods as unique value
✪ I train, mentor and coach professionals, engineering teams, managers, product owners, scrum masters, product
leads, in various product & services companies. My areas of interest include design thinking, agile methodologies,
lean startups, project and program management, innovation and new product development, product ownership, as
well as organization development, and cultural transformation.
✪ Management team member of SAP technology development teams from 2006.
✪ SAP Internal blogger on BI Dashboards, tools & Methods. Recently hooked up with Cloud computing infrastructure.
Results - I help individuals improve execution speed by simple techniques and tools.
• More about me @ https://in.linkedin.com/in/sankaranlakshmi
Method: Build Backlogs
• Vision for whole scenario(project/Product)
• EPICS/Activities for releases
• User stories across product releases
• Backlogs for sprints with done criteria
• Tasks & Subtasks for sprints
• Burndown hours in Sprint
Tool- JIRA by Atlassian
o What is in JIRA?
– A versatile issue tracking tool that can be customized to fit you and your team needs
just in your own browser
o How JIRA Agile works?
o SCRUM - Board
o KANBAN – Cumulative flow diagram
o Agile Gadgets
o Usage Areas
o Bug Tracking
o Project Tracking
o Agile Planning
o Test Management
o Customer Feedback
o Software development
Eclipse as open source
o What is in Eclipse?
– Eclipse is an integrated development environment (IDE). It contains a
base workspace and an extensible plug-in system for customizing the environment
• How Eclipse works?
o IDE for C,C++, JAVA
o Usage Areas
Our Vision is to build “Online Book Shop”
Personas: Arvind (The Customer), Ravi (owner of the online shop), Jacob (distributer who
delivers the books)
System should allow Arvind to Find & Order the Books, Check the status of the order Placed and Pay for the Books.
System should allow Ravi to Manage the inventory & Replenish the Books and Manage the invoices.
System should allow Jacob to check the inventory & Replenish the Books (if stock of the books go beyond the safety Stock)
Create the usage sequences
Create the epics/activities that form the “Day-in-the-life” of a persona
Create the user stories for that persona
Release Planning for 1 or more persona
Create the slicing for the first release to buid backlogs
1. Sprint Planning
2. Create the set of backlogs for a sprint a slice
3. Create the set of tasks for the backlog of the sprint
4. Implementthe backlog
5. Sprint Review, retro
6. Repeat steps 1 to 3
7. Until slicing are left
Release review & retro
Build a Burn down chart
1. Given Estimated capacity vs Actual
2. Plot X axis with no of days 1 to 13
3. Plot a Y axis with no of hours (0 to 447)
4. Every day plot the estimated & actual
5. Draw a line (trend line) each for estimated and for actual
6. Linear trend is optional, but that is normal
7. On 13th day of the sprint we are left with a remaining work of 42 hours.
8. On the same last day we already exceeded the estimates and have no hours left to burn
Capacity ( in
hrs ) 440
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
TO DO 440 403 367 330 293 257 220 183 147 110 73 37 0
Actual 477 465 438 429 402 332 299 258 233 177 105 88 42