What is photo curation?
My definition: Curation refers to the filtered collection and
display of content, either crowdsourced or from a feed.
• TL;DR: A collection
What it isn’t
Curation is not downloading photos and posting
them or your site without permission. Work
within the terms of service of the platforms you
Respect copyright (don’t upload AP photos, for
instance) and remember that embeds are your
• You can’t be everywhere;
• More photos means more coverage;
• Increases engagement and visibility;
• Improves your relationship with your
• It’s fun!
What stories benefit from story
• Breaking news
• Festivals, fairs, parades, graduations and any
event with large gatherings
What tools can I use to find content?
Foursquare Use hashtags to crowdsource
and follow a particular event
So how do I curate?
• Reach out
• Use hashtags
• Do advance searches
• Use third party tools:
What tool can I use to publish that content
• Native embeds
• Media Center
Confirm and verify, then retweet, reblog or
Be extra careful during breaking news situations
• Contact source
• Check timeline of posts
• Look at location
• Use reverse image search,
especially with dramatic
Add widgets and promotion on your site, social
media and print. People won’t just send you a
photo because you sent a tweet.
Contact the source. Ask for permission.
• During breaking news, search Twitter and
• Feed your website with your social media posts. If
you are posting on social media you can also
populate your site with that content.
• Prioritize social media networks that create more
• Crowdsourcing won’t work if people feel like you
are not doing your job. Add a bunch of your own
and invite people to contribute more.
• Curation in Journalism
Photo engagement in journalism
#dfmchat Wednesdays at noon!