2009 Fall Presidents’
La Asociacion Latina
With the goal of uniting the Latino community at Cornell,
LAL has worked towards providing the community with
the historical and political contexts necessary to advance
LAL achieves this, and other goals, by coordinating political,
educational, social, and cultural events.
In keeping with its goals, LAL has remained a vehicle for
mobilization as issues confronting the Latino community
Why Are We Here?
• The purpose of this retreat can be summed up by the
– Enhance leadership skills that will lead to effective
running of Latino organizations
– Empower successful, educated, strong and
motivated leaders of Latino organizations
– Encourage connections and collaborations between
organizations so that overprogramming is minimized
– (Re) establish LAL’s role as an umbrella Latino
What Do We Expect?
• Everyone has taken some time to reflect on their
leadership and why they are here today, but we have
some expectations as well.
– Honesty really is the best policy.
– Constructive criticism is the way to go.
– Active participation will help this retreat flow
smoother and be more effective.
– Keep up the momentum.
What is our Leadership
• We believe:
– Leadership has many definitions.
– All students can exercise leadership, regardless of title or position
in an organization, as formal position alone does not determine
– Leadership is an on-going process that is continuously explored,
evaluated, and evolving.
– Leadership involves the ability to influence and inspire others.
– Leadership never happens alone: it is a two-sided relationship
between the leader and those being led.
– Leadership involves taking initiative and responsibility to do
something that enhances the experience of oneself and others.
– Leadership involves hearing and respecting the voices of
everyone, cultural understanding, and citizenship.
• Sunday, August 30 @3:30 pm
– LAL/LLC Bienvenidos BBQ at LLC Courtyard
• Friday, September 4 @7:30 pm
– Café Con Leche: The Future of Latino Studies at
• Sunday, September 20
– Latino Community Service Day at Cornell Plantations