LRQA: EMBRAER Case Study - Carbon Disclosure Project Verification Strategy
The value of independently verified data for
Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) reporting
Embraer’s Greenhouse Gas Challenge
• One of the world’s main aircraft
• Global customer base with units
in Brazil, USA, Europe and Asia.
• Environmental sustainability is
critical in the aircraft industry.
• Monitor Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions.
• Achieve targeted GHG reductions.
• Become a transparent and environmentally
responsible organisation by demonstrating
the effectiveness of climate change
mitigation actions through independent
verification against ISO 14064-1.
The Approach & Key Takeaways
• In 2007, Embraer started developing and
implementing management processes based upon
the international standard ISO 14064-1:2006.
• In 2010, and in order to assure the accuracy of such
data and information, Embraer appointed Lloyd’s
Register Quality Assurance to audit the related 2009
base year GHG inventory against ISO 14064-1:2006.
• This audit allowed Embraer to correct and improve
its processes as well as being able to integrate
diverse areas of the business.
Benefits & Results
• Improved the quality of information and deadlines
met for preparing the annual GHG inventory.
• Defined and implemented a GHG Emissions
Management System, based on ISO14064- part 1.
• Increased awareness across all administrative and
• Increased transparency with key stakeholders thus
demonstrating Embraer’s commitment to being a
• Minimised environmental impact by mapping
significant aspects and impacts of the GHG processes,
enabling Embraer to establish reduction targets.
In the Verification of Climate Data White Paper,
produced by the CDP, Embraer emphasised the
importance of verification:
“The external verification process was of particular
importance to Embraer as it allowed the company to
demonstrate the credibility of the organisation to
external stakeholders through independently verified
and accurate data. In addition, Embraer was able to
develop robust internal mechanisms for quantifying
and reporting their GHG emissions in future.”
In the CDP’s Verification White Paper, Embraer also
underlined the positive outcomes of this process:
“Embraer has found that throughout the process which took about six months in the first year - it was
able to benefit by using information to correct and
improve its process as well as being able to integrate
diverse areas of the business.”
Our unique assessment methodology
Business Assurance from LRQA helps
you to manage your systems and risks
to improve and protect the current and
future performance of your organisation