Chase Oaks VBX - Wednesday - The Sacrifice Of The Journey
• The Moses Story & The Jesus Story are
linked by PASSOVER…
• How so?
• Step into the time machine…
There’s a new Pharaoh in town…
Moses Chosen – And Sent…
• New Pharaoh decides there
are TOO many Hebrews
– Enslaves them and makes
them build all the Egyptian
stuff (pyramids, Sphinx, etc)
– For 430 years!!!!!
– Decides to kill all male Hebrew
children; but Moses rescued But Lord…
I’m a nobody!
• God ready to rescue His How can you
people use me?
– Exodus 3:7-9
– Appears to Moses in a burning
bush that doesn’t burn
• God chooses Moses to lead
His people out of slavery…
– Exodus 3:10
– Sends Moses to Pharaoh
Just like God said…
10 Plagues, ending with death
• God directs Moses to tell Pharaoh to “Let My people
• God hardens Pharaoh's heart and Pharaoh says “No”
• With each “No”, God brings a new plague:
– Water Turned to Blood
– Frogs Over the Land
– Egyptian Cattle Die
– Skin Boils
– Heavy Hail
– 3 days of total Darkness
– Death of Firstborn
• By the way: Who in here is a firstborn child?
• Freedom FROM Spirit of death - granted through
blood sacrifice of lamb without blemish.
• The First Passover – When I see the blood…
– Uncovered by the blood of the lamb = _______
– Covered by the blood of the lamb = ________
• In the Seen…
– God freeing His people using Moses’ leadership
– The Hebrews commanded by God to celebrate
Passover every year on anniversary of God’s
famous rescue of His people.
• Hebrews would celebrate Passover some 1,400 times
before Jesus came on the scene.
• In the Unseen…
– God is setting the stage to free mankind from the
bondage of sin and death once and for all!
– He would send another perfect “lamb” for that
What did we just get done talking about?
Remember the First Passover?
• One of the many names of Jesus =
The Lamb of God
– John 1:29 – “Behold the Lamb of God
who takes away the sin of the world!”
• He was the perfect sacrifice and
Who’s blood can cover the “doorposts
& lintels” of your heart!
• Those covered by the blood of THE
Lamb = NO (eternal, spiritual) DEATH!
• By the way, when did Jesus GIVE UP
– During the annual Passover celebration
– Coincidence? NOPE!
• Jesus paid the price to redeem us
(buy us back) from the enemy
The Task At Hand - The Chasm
• God longs for the intimate relationship with us that He had in the
Garden of Eden.
• The Problem: We can’t have that relationship in our current sinful
state…we are broken; the relationship is fractured by sin…
– Sinful man can’t re-enter perfect & holy relationship with God on their own,
unless a blood ransom is paid to “buy back” or “redeem” the relationship.
• God’s love for us motivates Him to radical action…by giving up…
JESUS IS THE
• Jesus paid the price that WE owed (He died in our
• Jesus bridges the gap as only He can
– He “parachuted in” behind the lines of enemy
occupied territory to save us/rescue us!!
• John 14:20 - The UNION!
– “In that day you will know that
• I am in My Father,
• And you in Me,
• And I in you.”
• Ephesians 1:13
– “In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your
salvation – having also believed,
• You were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise,
• Who is given as a pledge of our inheritance…”
– You were adopted into His Holy Family
• John 10:27-29
– No one will snatch them out of My hand.
– My Father, greater than all, gave them to Me. No one can snatch
them out of His hand either.
• Jesus defeated Satan on the cross.
• Jesus died in our place as our substitute
• It is not enough to just know this is true, one must “open the
gift” and “accept the contents” as their own.
• If accept this free gift of salvation, you are adopted in to God’s
family and He puts His Holy Spirit in YOU! Yes you!!
– This is a mystery – but true – “Christ in you, the hope of glory”