Consideration of Two New Land Buys
1. Hastings Lake Forest Preserve…5 acres
2. Fox River Forest Preserve……..108 acres
Total approximate combined acreage: 113 acres
Total purchase price for both parcels: $2,550,000
Approx price per acre: $22,500
Total Acreage with Two New Purchases: 27,225.
in the north
and far west
areas of the
Land Acquisition Goals
PROTECT…............. Wildlife Habitat
PRESERVE…............ Wetland, Prairies & Forests
PROVIDE…………. Trails, River and Lake Access
PROTECT…............. Against Flooding
EXPAND…………. Existing Preserves
SAVE……….............. Large Refuges
ASSIST……............... County with Farmland Preservation
Hastings Lake Forest Preserve
Shubert Property Addition
• Approximately 5 acres.
• Increases Hastings Lake to approximately 268 acres.
• Purchase price: $350,000
• Contains house and pole building that will be
evaluated for program use.
Located off of
Deep Lake and
About the Shubert Property
• Contains a partially wooded parcel with both
uplands and ADID wetlands.
• Connects to Hastings Lake on the west and
south, expanding habitat for a variety of bird
• Provides an important buffer for the Hastings
Lake ADID wetland complex.
• Provides an additional 300 feet of frontage along
Gelden Road: 2,100 total.
Fox River Forest Preserve
Brandt Property Addition
• Approximately 108 acres.
• Increases Fox River Preserve to approximately
• Purchase price: $2,200,000.
• Price per acre: approximately $20,300.
176 and Roberts
Road, west of
About the Brandt Property
• A combination of wetlands and upland woods,
with excellent opportunities to restore both
• Bordered on the south by Fox River Preserve.
• Provides flood protection and facilitates in the
management of a wetlands complex that extends
into the Fox River.
• Part of the Master Planning process for the north
part of the Fox River Preserve.
Features of the Brandt Property
• Varied landscape with knolls, ponds, woodlands
and wetlands that create a fascinating and
interesting experience for visitors.
• Follows much of the same landscape features as
the Karels Property to the south, which is part of
the Fox River Preserve.
• Excellent opportunities for nature trails and
Exceptional additions to our
Lake County Forest Preserves.
Board of Commissioners
President Vice President
Bonnie Thomson Carter, Ingleside Carol Calabresa, Libertyville
Anne Flanigan Bassi, Highland Park Pamela O. Newton, Vernon Hills
Melinda Bush, Grayslake Audrey H. Nixon, North Chicago
Pat Carey, Grayslake Diana O’Kelly, Mundelein
Steve Carlson, Gurnee Brent Paxton, Zion
Mary Ross Cunningham, Waukegan Robert G. Sabonjian, Waukegan
Michelle Feldman, Highland Park
Suzi Schmidt, Lake Villa
Susan Loving Gravenhorst, Lake Bluff
David B.Stolman, Buffalo Grove
Diane Hewitt, Wadsworth
Michael Talbett, Lake Zurich
Angelo D. Kyle, Waukegan
Terry Wilke, Round Lake Beach
Ann B. Maine, Lincolnshire
Linda Pedersen, Antioch Executive Director
Stevenson Mountsier, Barrington Tom Hahn