Using Instagram and
Pinterest for Business
B Y M I C H E L L E F O N T A I N E , F B S M A R T Y
F A C E B O O K . C O M / F B S M A R T Y
T W I T T E R . C O M / F B S M A R T Y
G O O G L E ‘ F B S M A R T Y ’ F O R Y O U R C H O I C E O F C O N T A C T
My official ‘Bio’
MBA Assumption College 2002 (finished a
Corporate Marketing Communications until
◦ Managed large budgets, trade shows, advertising,
This business started in 2005
◦ Started as web, graphic, photography – marketing
◦ Now specialize solely on Social Media for business
◦ Teach entrepreneurs and manage for clients
◦ FBSmarty and Social Media by Michelle
Things about me most people don’t know
• I owned a craft store called ‘Cozy Corner Crafts’
in the mid 80’s – teacher of ‘things to make’
• Always an entrepreneurial heart but needed
corporate income to raise three children
• My daughter told me to ‘teach Facebook’ 5 years
• Mom of three, grandmother of 4
• Second home is in Prescott Valley, Arizona
What is Instagram?
• “…a fun and quirky way to share your life with friends through a
series of pictures.
• Snap a photo with your mobile phone, then choose a filter to
transform the image into a memory to keep around forever.
• We're building Instagram to allow you to experience moments in
your friends' lives through pictures as they happen. “
• Though Instagram touts the network as a personal place for real-
time activity, there are now plenty of business strategies we can use
to reach a new audience.
• In order for Instagram business strategies to work, they must be
enticing, creative or valuable.
Is Instagram for my business?
•If you are trying to reach a younger audience, definitely!
•If you have a visual business that allows easy story-telling, sure! It’s not
stagnant, stale or too ‘mature’ yet. It’s ‘hot’.
•It’s free. It’s quick (but you should have a strategy).
•It’s not cluttered with advertisements…yet.
•Instagram is owned by Facebook so it can flow right into your Facebook business
page and other social channels, so it’s efficient.
•It’s an easy shortcut to other social channels.
Where’s my grandson?
• Teens and young adults are drawn to new ‘cool’
networks, they are early adopters.
• Usually girls adopt first (sorry guys), but young
males are very into the ease and fun of
Instagram’s instant communication.
What kind of businesses
should be on
Fashion, Salons, Tattoo Artists, etc.
If your business is trendy, cool, fun, edgy, you MUST be on
Instagram! Instant Likes, Shares and Engagement.
Many types of businesses!
Travel Agents - Share the coolest parts of your destinations.
Restaurants - Show the back-end story. How about the
kitchen prep rather than the plate of food? Run a contest
encouraging customers to snap a photo of their food and
use your assigned hashtag to win a free dinner!
Social Media Marketers
• Leaders in my industry are establishing a presence,
paving the way for us
• Here, Mari Smith tells us about Torrey Pines lodge and
• Careful, though, don't to be too 'selfie'. It is the easiest
thing to photograph ourselves as we are always
available, but try to take attention off yourself during
the ‘selfies’, as Mari does here.
Can I Geo-Target on Instagram?
• Absolutely! Using the
hashtag of #WorcesterMA
returns a great collection of
local Instagram users.
• Always hashtag your location
if geo-targeting is important
to your business!
How can Instagram help with my
other social media channels?
• Even if you don’t think your business will benefit from Instagram
itself, there is another reason to use it!
• Ease of cross-pollination to your other channels = #shortcuts. The
ease of using Instagram is amazing!
• In about 5 minutes, I created this video tip
• Then I shared it to Facebook and Twitter.
• So, in less than 10 minutes, it was created
and posted on 3 channels; Instagram,
Facebook and Twitter.
Add Instagram to your Facebook
• In addition, I have a free custom app on the FBSmarty
set up through Woobox (www.woobox.com), which pulls in all
Instagram posts that contain the tag #fbsmarty.
What are some Instagram video
• Keep it steady – Brace that mobile device somehow to keep it
• Light at your back – Don’t video into the light, try to have it at your
back or side.
• Auto-play feature - Videos created directly from
Instagram or by using a collage type app like
Flipagram are set to auto-play by default.
• As people scroll, your video starts playing. No
audio until the video is clicked on.
• They also work on Facebook. Preloading (auto
play) makes videos start playing more quickly but
uses more data.
• The user can control whether videos will auto play
or not under preloading in the options area.
How is Instagram different than
• Both are based on photos, videos and other visual content.
• Pinterest has been around longer than Instagram and is not as instant a
visual channel as Instagram.
• Pinterest is more serious (ecommerce for example). Instagram captures
• Instagram’s origin are mobile.
• Pinterest is based around boards (collections) and images/videos (pins).
• Think of Pinterest as a visual scrapbook where you collect pins and pint
them to your own boards.
How do I get the Instagram app?
• Navigate to the app store on your smart phone or tablet (App store
on IOS, Play Store on Android).
Can I manage Instagram from my
• From the Instagram desktop version, you
• Report Inappropriate
• View the Photo Page
• Like the post
• View Profile
• Edit Profile
• Access Badges (icons you can put in
• Log out
• Embed' it. Embed gives you code that you can
insert into a blog or website. This is actually
handy. If you want to embed a video or photo, you
can grab the embed code from your computer
which is where you are probably writing your
• Like it (the heart).
• There are no share or other options...yet.
• Comments can be added and deleted but not
edited. The original text cannot be edited.
Do I have to post from my Instagram app
or can I also post from my computer?
Right now, posts need to be posted from the mobile app.
Pinterest is about driving traffic
• A main Pinterest strategy is to drive traffic to your website.
• Instagram is shareable but it doesn’t natively drive traffic to
• If set up correctly, you click on a Pinterest Pin, it opens in the Photo
Viewer. Click on it one more time and you head off to the
ecommerce site, or blog post or a pre-defined destination.
Hastags (Instagram and Pinterest)
• Using hashtags is an important strategy for both channels.
• Studies indicate – use sparingly!!
• I recommend a branding hashtag. (#fbsmarty and #cfcsm)
• Other descriptive hashtags such as #socialmedia #instagrampost
• Geotags like #worcesterma or #worcestermass or #worcester.
Can I post on Instagram from
• Using a custom app to bring Instagram into Facebook is a
smart strategy. I currently use Woobox
(www.woobox.com) for my Instagram tab.
• There are other third party Instagram apps that offer
things like analytics, but I am not aware of any at this
time that allow you to post or share from the app.
Sharing from Instagram
• Access your sharing options by clicking on your profile and then the cog
wheel on the right. Scroll down to the bottom for the sharing options.
• You can unlink from Facebook entirely or link to one of your Facebook
accounts, either your personal Timeline or one of your business pages.
• You cannot link to more than one at a time. But, it's easy to change this
too, so you can be strategic about posting to different Facebook pages
with each post.
• You would need to make this change before creating and uploading your
Instagram photo or video.
Where else can I share Instagram?
• Facebook – your personal Timeline or any Facebook pages you are
an admin on.
• Twitter – the account you choose.
Video Recording available
If you’d like to see and hear the video recording from this
session (which is much more interesting than plain old
slides!), head over here -
FBSmarty and Social Media by Michelle
In class or on-line,
Two teachers at every class
Reminder – fill in your email
for the recording
for further training
OR schedule time with me at