OpenCalais @ UC Berkeley Media Technology Summit 9/29/09
What’s Next: The ‘Linked Content Economy’
2. Organizing your content to drive value
3. OpenCalais / Live Demo
4. I Tagged My Content… Now What?
5. Four Ways to Compete: Real World Examples
6. Why Thomson Reuters cares
Organizing Your Content is the First Step
• The value of
• The value of
How do we get there?
• Use semantic technology to “translate” written
content into something computers can read:
– 5th grade English class: break content down into its core
elements: the entities, facts and events it contains.
• Use the metadata to make meaningful connections
between people, places, companies, etc. in related
stories – both your own and those of other publishers
• Use the metadata to enhance your content with
relevant data sets, information and media assets out
on the open Web
A No Cost Solution: OpenCalais
• A Thomson Reuters initiative to connect all the world’s
• A free service that brings new efficiencies and
productivity to publishers and content curators.
• The fastest, easiest way to categorize your content,
and tag the entities, facts and events therein.
Semantic Tech 101: Metadata Generation
1. You feed your stories into an
2. It categorizes the stories; finds
the people, places, companies,
facts and events, and then
returns that metadata to you
3. Along with the metadata, it
returns links to free data on the
open Web (i.e. Wikipedia, CIA
World Fact book, IMDB, etc.)
4. You use the metadata to
streamline content ops, enhance
your content, create topic hubs
on the fly, improve search, etc.
The OpenCalais Viewer
I Tagged My Content… Now What?
Use your metadata to:
• Get Efficient
• Get Engaged
• Get Smart
• Get Specialized
Get Efficient – Cut Costs
• Streamline content ops to drive editorial productivity
• Automatically categorize content with both IPTC news
codes & ‘social tags’ that use everyday terms
• Automatically tag the people, places, companies, facts &
events in content
• Automatically integrate archived materials
Get Engaged – Add Value to the Experience
• Improve search & navigation to make it easy for
readers to find what they want.
• Automatically populate recommendation widgets
& related stories sidebars
• Automatically create ‘topic hubs’ on trending issues
& breaking news
• Automatically integrate relevant data, related media,
information from Wikipedia entries, etc.
Using OpenCalais to:
• Aggregate & organize content in new ways.
• Automatically produce topic-based sites.
• Improve search functionality.
• Generate better content recommendations.
• Publish product reviews, news articles & blog posts for
programmatic use on the open Web
Case Study: Content Ops & Topic Hubs
Get Smart – Improve Distribution & Advertising
• Optimize search engine ranking through better SEO.
• Inform advertising placement and drive click-through
• Improve syndication to search engines, news
aggregators, ‘recommended reading’ apps., etc.
Using OpenCalais to
• Improve ad placement, connecting partners & advertisers
with relevant, quality content.
• Achieve deeper classification & categorization within its
library of 1.7 million pieces of content.
• Assign the right story to the right writer at the right time,
based on expertise, breaking trends, what’s hot, etc.
Case Study: Optimizing Ad Placement
Get Specialized – Pick a Niche and Own it.
• Triage content based on local relevance & impact
• Triage content based on preferences or behaviors
• Triage content based on topic, industry, special
interests, perspective, etc.
Using OpenCalais to:
• Produce regional microsites that ‘super-serve’
communities with relevant news (Chicago, LA, etc.).
• Perform content ‘triage,’ routing the right story to the
right section & the right readers.
• Automate content ops & drive editorial productivity.
Case Study: Localization
Case Study: Do it all
Using OpenPublish, a semantically enabled CMS to:
• Contain costs: Streamline content operations & increase
• Increase Engagement: Offering faceted search,
recommended reading sidebars and more
• Improve distribution: optimize search engine placement with
more accurate, complete metatagging
• Innovate: intelligently “mashup” content to create new
products, repurpose content for display in new ways
Why Thomson Reuters Cares
• Its mission is to connect all the world’s business-
relevant content to provide professionals with ‘intelligent
• The days of surviving
as a ‘walled garden’ of
content are over.
• ‘Crowdsourcing’ Q&A
creates faster, better,
Also… it’s a good thing: Investigative journalism
News Calais Web
Big Fuzzy Graph
DocumentCloud – Open Access to Source Materials
• Started by reporters from The New York Times and ProPublica
• Two dozen publishers and industry assoc. contributing materials
• Beta by the end of the year