What is Green Computing ?
Green Computing is the term used to
donate efficient use of resources in
It is also Known as Green IT.
Green Computing is “ Where
organizations adopt a policy of ensuring
that the setup and operations of
Information Technology produces the
minimal carbon footprint” .
What is Green Computing ?
Green Cloud is “ the study and practice of
designing, manufacturing , using and
disposing of computers , servers and
associated subsystems .
Key issues are energy efficiency in computing
and promoting environmentally friendly
computer technologies .
Goal of Green Computing –
• The goals of green computing are similar
to green chemistry.
• Minimize energy consumption.
• Purchasing green energy.
• Reducing travel requirements for
What is Cloud Computing ?
• Cloud computing is a metaphor used by
Technology or IT Services companies for the
delivery of computing requirements as
a service to a heterogeneous community of
• It is a Virtualized Computing Platform .
• Scalable use of computing resources .
1.Software as a Service:
The software is present on
clouds and all type processing
is done on cloud only. This
feature allows users to access
the software from any
computer which is connected
to the internet.
2.Storage as a Service:
This service allow user to
outsource their data storage
needs to the cloud. The user
store all his/her files on cloud
but the all kind of processing
is done on user’s PC
3.Processing as a Service:
This model provides user
the functionality to
computation on cloud
which consists of powerful
servers. Tasks which
demand less processing
power are carried on
user’s PC only.
Software as a
Storage as a Service Processing as a
Short task at client,
Large tasks in cloud
Location of Storage Cloud Cloud Client
Transport Transmit commands
and receive results
All files/documents Files for large tasks
Green Cloud Computing
• Green Cloud computing is used to achieve not
only efficient processing and utilization of
computing infrastructure, but also minimize
energy consumption .
• It is also called as GREEN IT.
• Practice of using computer products
Goals Of Green Cloud Computing:
• Reduce the use of hazardous material , it
causes harm to environment .
• “Green” Data Centers.
• Using recycle materials.
• Supply Chain Energy Usage.
Working of Green Cloud
Public Cloud B
Public Cloud A
Green IT in developing regions
• Development of ICT
• Moving Processor and Data closer to the User
• Public Policy measures-Germany example, PPP
• Locating Data Centers in the developing world
• Economic Growth
• Gartner Report 2007: IT industry
contributes 2% of world's total CO2
• U.S. EPA Report 2007: 1.5% of total U.S.
power consumption used by data centers
which has more than doubled since 2000
and costs $4.5 billion
Computer Rm. AC 34%
Compute resources and
particularly servers are at
the heart of a complex,
Where Does the Power Go?
Power Consumption in the Datacenter
• Cloud consumers or their brokers submit
service requests from anywhere in the world
to the Cloud. It is important to notice that
there can be a difference between Cloud
consumers and users of deployed services. For
instance, a consumer can be a company
deploying a Web application, which presents
varying workload according to the number of
users accessing it.
2. Green Resource Allocator:
• Acts as the interface between the Cloud
infrastructure and consumers. It requires the
interaction to support energy-efficient
3.Virtual Machines (VMs)
• Multiple VMs can be dynamically started and
stopped on a single physical machine to meet
accepted requests, hence providing maximum
flexibility to configure various partitions of
resources on the same physical machine to
different specific requirements of service
4. Physical Machines:
• The underlying physical computing servers
provide hardware infrastructure for creating
virtualized resources to meet service
• Presented a Carbon Aware Green Cloud
Framework to improve the carbon footprint of
• Lots of research to be carried out
• Maximizing Efficiency of Green Data Centers
• Developing Regions to benefit the most