2. Kris Buytaert
● I used to be a Dev,
● Then Became an Op
● Chief Trolling Officer and Open Source
● Everything is an effing DNS Problem
● Building Clouds since before the bookstore
● Some books, some papers, some blogs
● Evangelizing devops
3. Do you know what your children do at 5 am
in the morning ?
● Sleeping ?
● Crashing a Party ?
● Why are the cops at your front door ?
● What happened ?
● How long have they been gone ?
Damon Edwards and John Willis
6. A sub movement
● #monitoringsucks trending
● 2008 Study :Nagios + Friends
● 2011 Conclusion : Nagios/Icinga are
the only automatable alternatives
Monitoring is AWESOME. Metrics are AWESOME. I love it. Here's what I don't love:
● Having my hands tied with the model of host and service bindings.
● Having to set up "fake" hosts just to group arbitrary metrics together
● Having to either collect metrics twice - once for alerting and another for trending
● Only being able to see my metrics in 5 minute intervals
● Having to chose between shitty interface but great monitoring or shitty monitoring
but great interface
● Dealing with a monitoring system that thinks IT is the system of truth for my
● Not actually having any real choices
John Vincent (@lusis) on his blog http://lusislog.blogspot.com/2011/06/why-