1. From devoops, to devops
ING Loves IT
April 2017 ,Bucharest
2. Kris BuytaertKris Buytaert
● I used to be a Dev,I used to be a Dev,
● Then Became an OpThen Became an Op
● Chief Trolling Officer and Open SourceChief Trolling Officer and Open Source
Consultant @Consultant @inuits.euinuits.eu
● Everything is an effing DNS ProblemEverything is an effing DNS Problem
● Building Clouds since before the bookstoreBuilding Clouds since before the bookstore
● Some books, some papers, some blogsSome books, some papers, some blogs
● Evangelizing devopsEvangelizing devops
● Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,Organiser of #devopsdays, #cfgmgmtcamp,
#loadays, ….#loadays, ….
12. Careers in TechCareers in Tech
People trying to make themselves relevantPeople trying to make themselves relevant
Peter principle:Peter principle:
Promoted beyond their competencePromoted beyond their competence
Tech folks are forced into management, notTech folks are forced into management, not
supported to grow technicalysupported to grow technicaly
13. So what's devoops ?So what's devoops ?
● ““Put this Code Live, here's a tarball” NOW!Put this Code Live, here's a tarball” NOW!
● What dependencies ?What dependencies ?
● No machines available ?No machines available ?
● What database ?What database ?
● Security ?Security ?
● High Availability ?High Availability ?
● Scalability ?Scalability ?
● My computer can't install this ?My computer can't install this ?
14. These DaysThese Days
● ““Put this Code Live, here's a Docker Container ”Put this Code Live, here's a Docker Container ”
● No machines available ?No machines available ?
● What database ? Where to store the data ?What database ? Where to store the data ?
● Security ? What distro is this even ?Security ? What distro is this even ?
Bad Cows ?Bad Cows ?
● How do we monitor his ?How do we monitor his ?
● Backups ?Backups ?
● How did you build this ?How did you build this ?
17. Change Management &Change Management &
● 20 – 60 – 2020 – 60 – 20
● 20% Early adopters , find your peers20% Early adopters , find your peers
● 60% Will wait , but adopt slowly60% Will wait , but adopt slowly
18. Wild project plans !Wild project plans !
Can you make your change journey a traditionalCan you make your change journey a traditional
project with milestones andproject with milestones and
We are a new orgWe are a new org
Bold move, or Just luck ?Bold move, or Just luck ?
Old Management Style to install a new CultureOld Management Style to install a new Culture
19. Do not call it aDo not call it a
● It's not the team running toolingIt's not the team running tooling
● It's not the team in charge of deliveryIt's not the team in charge of delivery
● It's not yet another silo between devs and opsIt's not yet another silo between devs and ops
20. Do not call themDo not call them
#devops engineers#devops engineers
● It's not a job title.It's not a job title.
● Is it a developer ?Is it a developer ?
● Is it an ops engineer ?Is it an ops engineer ?
● Is it a system engineer writing code ?Is it a system engineer writing code ?
● Is it a developer running operations ?Is it a developer running operations ?
21. Crossfunctional TeamCrossfunctional Team
● Build a project team with skills from all overBuild a project team with skills from all over
Continuous IntegrationContinuous Integration
Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)Infrastructure (HA/ Scale/ Performance)
● Seat them together !Seat them together !
24. The BusinesThe Busines
● Doesn't care how weDoesn't care how we
run ITrun IT
● Can't adapt theirCan't adapt their
● Isn't involved inIsn't involved in
building softwarebuilding software
● Doesnt survive if weDoesnt survive if we
don't deliverdon't deliver
● Is waiting for theirIs waiting for their
● Is based on softwareIs based on software
25. Pitfalls Merging TeamsPitfalls Merging Teams
● Don't keep their managersDon't keep their managers
Failed scrumFailed scrum
6 months later 1 less manager6 months later 1 less manager
● Management needs to go Agile tooManagement needs to go Agile too
Side Management of Senior managementSide Management of Senior management
● Don't try this on EOL teamsDon't try this on EOL teams
26. Fire your ArchitectsFire your Architects
● If they haven't writtenIf they haven't written
a line of code in thea line of code in the
past 3 monthspast 3 months
28. The people in charge of software acquisition isThe people in charge of software acquisition is
notnot your purchasing or legal team, it's youryour purchasing or legal team, it's your
And they probably don't need a budget, or aAnd they probably don't need a budget, or a
different onedifferent one
29. You Outsourced what ?You Outsourced what ?
● How can they take responsible ?How can they take responsible ?
● Who is going to point at who ?Who is going to point at who ?
30. ““Side Projects”Side Projects”
● Such asSuch as
Datacenter Migration , Network Upgrade,Datacenter Migration , Network Upgrade,
Distribution UpgradeDistribution Upgrade
● Shared BacklogShared Backlog
31. ITIL : correct ideas,ITIL : correct ideas,
wrong placewrong place
● The last mileThe last mile
● The men who say noThe men who say no
● Guardians of ProductionGuardians of Production
● Friday at 10 amFriday at 10 am
33. Earlier in the processEarlier in the process
● Start as a teamStart as a team
Security Build inSecurity Build in
No upfront architectsNo upfront architects
No change managers afterwardsNo change managers afterwards
● Get Involved people from day0Get Involved people from day0
● Prevent the OOPS …Prevent the OOPS …
35. Automate all the thingsAutomate all the things
reproducable builds are undiscussablereproducable builds are undiscussable
testing reduces risktesting reduces risk
automate deployments of your test infraautomate deployments of your test infra
Infrastructure as CodeInfrastructure as Code
100% automation100% automation
Can you rebuild your infrastructure ?Can you rebuild your infrastructure ?
An “ecosystem” that supports continuous delivery, fromAn “ecosystem” that supports continuous delivery, from
infrastructure, data and configuration management toinfrastructure, data and configuration management to
Through automation of the build, deployment, and testingThrough automation of the build, deployment, and testing
process, and improved collaboration between developers,process, and improved collaboration between developers,
testers, and operations, delivery teams can get changestesters, and operations, delivery teams can get changes
released in a matter of hours — sometimes even minutes–noreleased in a matter of hours — sometimes even minutes–no
matter what the size of a project or the complexity of its codematter what the size of a project or the complexity of its code
Continuous Delivery , Jez HumbleContinuous Delivery , Jez Humble
40. Monitoring is usually anMonitoring is usually an
ENOBUDGET, ENOTIMEENOBUDGET, ENOTIME
42. Self Service MetricsSelf Service Metrics
● Being able to add new metricsBeing able to add new metrics
● Build your own dashboardsBuild your own dashboards
● Look at metrics / logs on all platformsLook at metrics / logs on all platforms
● Learn from the LogfilesLearn from the Logfiles
● Learn from the platformLearn from the platform
45. Visualize Business MetricsVisualize Business Metrics
● Api callsApi calls
● Application useApplication use
46. ● Devoops is about realizing your risk just becameDevoops is about realizing your risk just became
a failure.a failure.
● Devops is about reducing risk earlier in theDevops is about reducing risk earlier in the
Through Collaboration, Automation andThrough Collaboration, Automation and
Better Monitoring and metricsBetter Monitoring and metrics
47. It's not about the toolsIt's not about the tools
It's about changeIt's about change
It's about the peopleIt's about the people