A new year awaits a new beginning to the financial markets. Kotak Securities brings you all the analysis prediction on share market in the year 2014.Visit www.kotaksecurities.com for more information.
Share Market 2014 -The Beginning
Share Market 2014
January 2014 - A roller coaster ride
• The first month of 2014 has been a roller coaster ride for Dalal Street, on
the back of international as well as domestic factors.
Sensex & Nifty
• The BSE Sensex fell below the 20,000-levels in the first ten days of the
month, before hitting a new life-time high later in the month.
• However, the rally did not sustain and the benchmark index ended the
month near 20,500-levels. The NSE Nifty too ended up 3.45% lower.
• For the first time in many months, foreign investors put more money in debt
instruments than the equity market.
• Foreign Institutional Investors (FIIs) bought $2.061 billion (Rs 1260.86
crore) in the debt market and $124 million (Rs 71.43 crore) in equities.
• The key factor that moved markets were the December quarter earnings
announcement by companies. While the results of most Sensex companies
met Street expectations, financial performance has been weighed down by
an increase in costs and poor demand.
• However, a few laggards like ICICI Bank and Maruti Suzuki worried
investors about the prospects for the banking and auto sectors.
RBI: Monetary Policy Review
• Another key factor was the surprise move by the Reserve Bank of India
(RBI) to hike interest rates in its monetary policy review citing high
• The US central bank – Federal Reserve – finally cut down its bondpurchase programme by $10 billion. This put pressure on markets
• Worries about a slowdown in China and the fall in emerging market
currencies like Argentina and Turkey too influenced global markets. This,
in turn, pulled down markets back home.
• However, India was relatively less affected by the weak global cues.
• Meanwhile, the government announced a cut in LPG prices. Any such
measures which would increase the government’s fiscal burden would be
closely monitored ahead of the general elections.
Kotak Securities Limited, Registered Address: 27 BKC, C 27, G Block, Bandra Kurla
Complex, Bandra (E) Mumbai 400 051. Correspondence Address: 6th Floor, Kotak
Infinity, Building No. 21, Infinity Park, Off Western Express Highway, General AK Vaidya
Marg, Malad (East), Mumbai 400097. Tel no: 66056825. SEBI Registration Numbers:
NSE INB/INF/INE 230808130, BSE INB 010808153 / INF 011133230, OTC INB
200808136, MCX-SX INE 260808130/ INB 260808135/INF 260808135 , NSDL IN-DPNSDL-23-97, CDSL IN-DP-CDSL-158-2001, AMFI ARN 0164. Compliance Officer - Mr.
Sandeep Chordia. Tel. No: 022 6605 6825. Email id: email@example.com.
In case you require any clarification or have any concern, kindly write to us at below
• For Trading Account related queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
• For Demat Account related queries: email@example.com.
Alternatively, you may feel free to contact our customer service desk at our toll free
numbers 18002099191 or 1800222299. You may also call at 30305757 by using your
city STD code as a prefix.
In case you wish to escalate your concern / query, please write to us at
firstname.lastname@example.org and if you feel you are still unheard, write to our customer
service HOD at email@example.com.