A balanced teamJohan Oskarsson, Senior Consultant at KnowitAt Knowit Breakfast seminars 2013-05-15 & 16
The super efficient highlyproductive ultraresponsible customerfocused ideal agileteam
Does happy teamsperform better?
Let’s get theoreticalMeet: the METALEARNINGMODELLosada & Heaphy 2004
“the ability of a team to dissolveattractors that close possibilitiesfor effective action and to evolveattractors that ope...
“attractors are like a gravitationalfield pulling behaviors toward it”The most flexible is the chaotic attractor, known as...
Each one of these attractors are associated withDIFFERENT PERFORMANCELEVELSPoint Limited Complexor
Bipolardimensions inverbalcommunicationotherselfinquiryadvocacypositive/negativeEmotionalspace
[positive]Codification[negative][inquiry][advocacy][self][other]“that’s a good idea”“dumbest thing I’ve ever herd”“please ...
The goal is toincrease theemotionalspaceotherselfinquiryadvocacyEmotionalspacepositive/negative
Dissolvingattractors“undoing hypothesis”, positive emotions undothe effect of negative emotions
Evolvingattractors“broaden-and-build”, positive emotions broadenone’s awareness and encourage novel, varied, andexplorator...
otherselfinquiryadvocacyHigh performanceMedium performanceLowperformancepositive/negativepositive/negative = 5.614inquiry/...
{8-)Hence, happy teamsperform better
Balance iskey
Diversityhelps
Self-diagnosticteam must learn
What can we do?
360 Poker• Better understanding• Multiple perspectives• Balanced evaluations• Leveled feedback19
Proximity Management• Move manager’s desk to the teams• Management by walking around• Gemba walk / go & see / face-time20
Kudo Box• Don’t promise rewards in advance• Reward publicly, not privately• Reward peers, not subordinates21
22Celebrate!• “What did we learn?”• “What did we do well?”• (reinforce learning & good practices)
Identity Symbols• The team defines its own identity• Name, logo, mascotte, website, etc.• Generates team work / team spiri...
Exploration Days• Everyone spends one day of learning• Try to deliver something within 24 hrs• Demo the results to colleag...
SlackTime• Aim for 80% utilization of people• Use the remainder (20%) for slack• Use slack for experiments and emergencies25
Self-OrganizedTeam Formation• Let people organize themselves in teams• However, give them some constraints• Diversity, tea...
Business Guilds• Let people organize around certain topics• Such as specific technologies or disciplines• Have them form v...
”Management is to important to be left tomanagers”Help team managethemselves.{8-)
Johan Oskarsson@johanoskarssonwww.captaintrouble.com
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

A balanced agile team

244 views

Published on

Johan Oskarssons presentation at Knowit's breakfast seminars May 15 and 16 2013

Published in: Technology, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
244
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
5
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

A balanced agile team

  1. 1. A balanced teamJohan Oskarsson, Senior Consultant at KnowitAt Knowit Breakfast seminars 2013-05-15 & 16
  2. 2. The super efficient highlyproductive ultraresponsible customerfocused ideal agileteam
  3. 3. Does happy teamsperform better?
  4. 4. Let’s get theoreticalMeet: the METALEARNINGMODELLosada & Heaphy 2004
  5. 5. “the ability of a team to dissolveattractors that close possibilitiesfor effective action and to evolveattractors that open possibilitiesfor effective action”META LEARNING
  6. 6. “attractors are like a gravitationalfield pulling behaviors toward it”The most flexible is the chaotic attractor, known as strangeattractor, or complexor. Meaning complex order.
  7. 7. Each one of these attractors are associated withDIFFERENT PERFORMANCELEVELSPoint Limited Complexor
  8. 8. Bipolardimensions inverbalcommunicationotherselfinquiryadvocacypositive/negativeEmotionalspace
  9. 9. [positive]Codification[negative][inquiry][advocacy][self][other]“that’s a good idea”“dumbest thing I’ve ever herd”“please explain more”“this is how it is”“our team is the best”“that teamover there isthe best”
  10. 10. The goal is toincrease theemotionalspaceotherselfinquiryadvocacyEmotionalspacepositive/negative
  11. 11. Dissolvingattractors“undoing hypothesis”, positive emotions undothe effect of negative emotions
  12. 12. Evolvingattractors“broaden-and-build”, positive emotions broadenone’s awareness and encourage novel, varied, andexploratory thoughts and action. Innovation!{8-)
  13. 13. otherselfinquiryadvocacyHigh performanceMedium performanceLowperformancepositive/negativepositive/negative = 5.614inquiry/advocacy = 0.935self/other = 1.143
  14. 14. {8-)Hence, happy teamsperform better
  15. 15. Balance iskey
  16. 16. Diversityhelps
  17. 17. Self-diagnosticteam must learn
  18. 18. What can we do?
  19. 19. 360 Poker• Better understanding• Multiple perspectives• Balanced evaluations• Leveled feedback19
  20. 20. Proximity Management• Move manager’s desk to the teams• Management by walking around• Gemba walk / go & see / face-time20
  21. 21. Kudo Box• Don’t promise rewards in advance• Reward publicly, not privately• Reward peers, not subordinates21
  22. 22. 22Celebrate!• “What did we learn?”• “What did we do well?”• (reinforce learning & good practices)
  23. 23. Identity Symbols• The team defines its own identity• Name, logo, mascotte, website, etc.• Generates team work / team spirit23
  24. 24. Exploration Days• Everyone spends one day of learning• Try to deliver something within 24 hrs• Demo the results to colleagues24
  25. 25. SlackTime• Aim for 80% utilization of people• Use the remainder (20%) for slack• Use slack for experiments and emergencies25
  26. 26. Self-OrganizedTeam Formation• Let people organize themselves in teams• However, give them some constraints• Diversity, team size, team duration, etc.26
  27. 27. Business Guilds• Let people organize around certain topics• Such as specific technologies or disciplines• Have them form virtual communities27
  28. 28. ”Management is to important to be left tomanagers”Help team managethemselves.{8-)
  29. 29. Johan Oskarsson@johanoskarssonwww.captaintrouble.com

×