People inside and outside the newsroom are
engaged in communicating not only to, but
also with, one another. In doing so, they are
all participating in the ongoing processes of
creating a news website and building a
— Participatory Journalism (2011)
• What types of stories are being
• What types of sources are being used?
• How are people interacting?
• 705 posts, April 2010 — June 2010
– Analyzed for story type
• 1,137 users, February 2010 — February 2012
– Analyzed professions, identities
• 6,408 interactions, February 2010 — February
– Analyzed posts, reposts, comments
I used to send news releases to the
paper, and they seldom resulted in
stories. Now, we don’t have editors
deciding what is newsworthy. We get to
post our news, and then our community
can decide if it is worth reading.
— MARILYN HULL,
Relay for Life
There are no words to describe how much
Susan touched my life in such a short period of
time. She allowed me and photographer Nick
Krug to document her journey with brain
cancer. Despite the cancer's toll on her body
and mind, she remained optimistic and positive
— even while on hospice. She was looking
forward to her new life with God.