• connects local news writers to readers.
• We are a local news website in Kenya, currently active in 10 counties.
• Since the passing of the new constitution, in 2010, power was transferred from the all-powerful
national government to the counties.
• The 47 county governments, led by elected governors, are in charge of developments at the
• But all media houses in Kenya focus on national stories. Local news rarely make it to any other
news site in Kenya.
• was piloted in 2012 by the seed fund 88mph, and officially launched in January 2014.
Why is unique
• Content is generated from the users. No other news site in Kenya does this.
• A payment of about $1 (Sh100) is made via mobile money transfer system
M-Pesa weekly for every published story.
• The editorial team only moderates to remove basic errors and deal with legal
• The platform gives readers a chance to set the agenda.
• The news site works well to any internet-enabled phone, and not just
smartphones. This takes care of most users in rural areas.
• The mainstream media companies in Kenya have now started picking some
of our local news content, and republishing.
• One of the greatest challenges we face is getting the other outlets to
acknowledge that they picked their stories from our site.
• We hope to offer a platform where users can be engaged in a conversation
about governance at the local level, which is given a blackout by the national