Using social media to promote your research
Kirsten Thompson | @iamKirstenT
Sally Dalton | @SallyDalton18
Aims of session
• Discuss the benefits of using social media as a researcher
• Provide practical advice on using social media effectively
• Signpost to some examples of researcher social media accounts
• Start to think about how you can develop your personal online brand
• Develop a set of social media actions/goals to take away from session
Which social media tools
do you use?
Why use social media as a researcher?
• Chat in small groups about why you think researchers use social media, what
are the benefits?
• Put your ideas on the menti:
Benefits of using social media as a researcher
• Reach a wider audience - get your ideas out there to a wider world
• Effective form of research dissemination - reach policy makers, journalists, other
researchers, general public
• Connect with research participants
• Reaching new audiences – see above!
• Develop a network of online colleagues - identify possible collaborators
• Actively engage with your audience - knowledge exchange
• Increase altmetrics scores
What could happen when you tweet an Open Access Paper
• Prior to blogging and tweeting
about the paper it had been
• The day (Friday) she tweeted &
blogged about it got 140
• On the Monday it was retweeted
and it received another 140
• Melissa’s advice – if you want
people to read your papers,
make them open access and let
people know about them!
A paper by Melissa Terras in Literacy and Linguistic Computing
7 Steps to Developing Your
Social Media Strategy:
(Your Social Media Strategy workshop)
Social MEdia by John Atkinson,
Wrong Hands | CC BY NC ND
Activity: Developing your personal brand
1. What do you think your current brand says about you?
2. What are your keywords? Are they clear in your profiles?
– Keyword research: https://hashtagify.me
3. Share/discuss at tables.
4. What will you change, if anything?
• What are you going to do now?
• #WhyResearchersTweet – please use and
• More resources here:
• Going Social Programme
• Think about how the University could support
you in using social media as a researcher and
let us know!