FINALS5 WRITTEN QUESTIONS TO GET TEAMS OFF THE MARK32 QUESTIONS CLOCKWISE INFINITE BOUNCE5 MORE WRITTEN QUESTIONS TO FOR TEAMS INCREASE THEIR SCORES32 QUESTIONS ANTICLOCKWISE INFINITE BOUNCENO NEGATIVES. HALF POINTS ARE THE QUIZ MASTERS DECISION.
5 WRITTEN QUESTIONS5 POINTS FOR EACH CORRECT ANSWER5 POINTS BONUS ON GETTING ALL 5 CORRECT
1) Name the 2004 book written by Jon Ronsonabout possible uses of paranormal by the militarywith major experiments on a single animal?
2) It was a Hollywood like tragedy for J.R.Hildebrand the young American rookie againstDan Wheldon the wily old Englishman. Whatevent of 2011 is being described?
3) Cozumel Mexico, Channel Islands California,Wakatobi Indonesia and El Akhawein Egypt arearguably the best locations in the world for what?
3) A fictional character in Slavic cultures, his roleis similar to that of Santa Claus in the west. Hewas originally on the list of mascots for the Sochiwinter Olympics, but was removed as he wouldbecome the property of I.O.C. In 1998, the townof Veliky Ustyug in Vologda Oblast, Russia wasdeclared as his home. Name this very popularcharacter?
8) The site consists of four large groups of stonecircles dates between 3rd century BC and 16thcentury AD. It reflects a prosperous, highlyorganized and lasting society. Where and namethe monument?
8) The ruins of Senegambia in Senegal andGambia.
9) This American political party advocates, amongother things, the withdrawal of all American troopsfrom around the world, including Korea, Japan,Europe and the entire Middle East; The party has alsoparticipated in the Presidential election and theiragenda and policies were described as ‘libertarian’.Name this party?
11) His uncle Daedalus was jealous of his growingskills and sought his death by pushing him off acliff. To save him, the goddess Athena or Minerva,who favoured ingenuity, turned the boy into a bird,and to this day the bird keeps close to the ground(to avoid any nasty falls). Accordingly, the genuscontaining the bird takes his name. Who was heand name the bird?
13) This United Nations diplomat and later PrimeMinister of a country, initiated something which gothim the Nobel Peace Prize in 1957. Who was he andwhat did he initiate?
13) Lester Pearson and U.N. Peacekeeping Force.
14) A 1950s designed carrier borne aircraft. Used byIndia in Goa in 1961 and in the war of 1971. It wasflown by NATO as late as the air campaign againstSerbia over Kosovo in the spring of 1999.Manufactured by a company which later mergedwith Dassault. Name the aircraft ?
16) George Mendonsa has been accepted as the maleprotagonist. The claim of the female protagonisthowever has three candidates: Edith Cullen Shain,Greta Friedman and Barbara Sokol. What is beingdiscussed?
18) Karnataka chief minister B S Yeddyurappa andJanata Dal (U) leader H D Kumaraswamy decided on aunique method of settling their political differences at10 AM on June 27 this year. What was this uniquemethod?
18) They let god arbitrate in the Manjunathtemple at Dharmasthala near Bangalore.
25) Metroxylon solomonese, Metroxylon amicarumand Cycas revoluta are plants which are the source ofa major staple food in the world. This item of food isoften confused with a product from Manihotesculenta plant. What is this called in India and whatis it confused with?
25) It is known as Sago or Saboo in India and it isconfused with Tapioca.
26) They are part of theRatite group with amaximum weight ofaround 60 kg, they arethe third largestremaining bird on theplanet. Name this bird?
27) To the Japanese its the River of Heaven; to theChinese ‘Silver River; in Catalan, Spanish, andPortuguese it is The Road to Santiago; in Cherokee its‘The Way the Dog Ran Away’; in Maltese St AnnesRoad and in Turkish its ‘Road of Straw’. Its the mostwidely recognised thing in the Western World. What?
28) One of the two maintypes of Viking ship, whilethe “longship” was used inwar the other was amerchant vessel. It had awider beam and deeperhull than the longship,holding between 70 and100 people. What werethese ships called ?
34) This brand is reportedly the market leader in allcountries of the world, except for five: Russia (whereYandex leads), China (_____), the Czech Republic(Seznam), South Korea (Naver) and Japan. Whichbrand?
35) Identify the lady andconnect her to the graphicon the right?
35) Isadora Duncan who died while being drivenin a Bugatti.
36) The wine ‘Lacrima Christi’, literally ‘tears of Christ’gets its name from the legend that Christ cried histears on the land which had a divine effect on thevines that grew there. The wine is produced on theslopes of which famous mountain?
46) Which former European kingdom was ruled bymost number of female monarchs between 13th and17th century for the duration of 123 years and hasbeen given the sobriquet of ‘Most woman friendlykingdom ever’ on International Women’s Day 2010?
50) Victor Hugo described him as ‘An infantShakespeare’. This poet who had largely given upcreative writing before his 21st birthday, spent sometime as a coffee and gun trader in Aden and Ethiopiabefore a tumour in his knee forced him to return tohis native country. Name him?
52) Jobari was the mascot for the 5th staging of anInternational sports event, hosted by Niamey, inNiger, in December 2005. Similarly Cedrus was themascot for the 6th staging at Beirut, Lebanon inSeptember-October 2009. What event?
54) Known a Hallyu it is a movement responsible forover 1 billion dollars of revenue to a country in termsof cultural exports. Hugely influential in Asia it isgaining popularity in North America and Europe duethe advent of YouTube and social networking sites.From which country does this originate and what is itsmain component?
55) Built by a ruler of a neighbouring state as aguarding outpost for a subsidiary route of thesilk route. The British were invited to conquer itby the local ruler. Converted to a prison, it wasone of the most remote prisons of the empire.Name this structure which has been sadlydestroyed by neglect?
56) You did not bear the shame. You resisted. You bestowed an eternally vigilant symbol of changeby sacrificing your impassioned lives for freedom, justice and honour.These are the translated words of a memorial plaque in a buildinglocated on the former Bendlerstrasse . Whose memorial?
56) The memorial to the German resistanceagainst the Nazis.
57) What is this mechanical device designed in 1704to illustrate the relative positions and motions of thebodies in the solar system called ?
58) The most ideal wood used for manufacture is teakbut generally aged Indian Red Cedar (western name)or Toona Ciliata (scientific name) is used. Othermaterials used in manufacture , include deer antlersand goat skin. These materials are used for themanufacture of what?