• Clearly stated problem definition and description
• Proposed solution has Problem – Solution Fit
• Identified Marketing / Distribution Channel
• Financial Feasibility
• Business Model with Validated Solution .
EXAMPLE OF A COMPLETED MILESTONE 1
TEMPLATE WITH EDITABLE GRAPHS AND SLIDES TO
INTRODUCTION AND TEAM COMPOSITION
Business Name: Ted’s Power Solutions - TSS
Team members names Strengths and abilities Role/Position
Theodore Becker Innovator and problem solver – Opportunist at hart CEO / Founder
Fred Meyer Detail orientated and process developer – Manager COO/CTO (if onboard at this time)
Cindy Smith Keen eye for numbers and experienced accountant CFO/CMO (if onboard at this time)
What makes us a good team to solve the problem
“We gel well as a team and compliment each others
strengths and weaknesses. Together we aim to take
this business to the next level”
Theodore Fred Cindy
(Short and focused sentence)
Due to ongoing large spread unplanned power failure and
scheduled electrical loadshedding, small business owners and
self employed people working from home are left in the dark and
unable to go about their daily lives, do work or run their small
(Jobs To Be Done by the customer to resolve the problem)
• Due to being unable to work, small businesses are losing income
• Sometimes business have to close their doors and staff home with
no pay for that time or day.
• People working from home loose work and money.
• Security becomes a high risk due to systems failures.
• Stock loss happens due to theft as a result.
• People and staff are reverting using their phones at high expense
to connect and work online.
• Staff needs to manually keep record of sales etc.
• Access security or shop security must be done by staff due to
camera and security door failure. Taking time and effort away
from their core jobs.
(Elaborate on the definition)
• Employees are unproductive due to a lack internet
connectivity as a result of power failure.
• Meetings and online presentations can not happen and
are disruptive to business.
• Devices like card machines, computers and laptops can
not function or charge.
• No lighting available.
• Alarm and security systems can not function.
(What does this problem present as an opportunity?)
The opportunity exist in the market for a simple and basic
power solution that is affordable and effective to overcome
the prolonged periods of electrical supply interruptions,
focused on the self employed, work from home individuals
and small business owners.
Present here the results of the interviews/surveys with graphs and analysis of the data
collected. (Also, the link to the file to access the interview/survey data)
How many customers did you interview? (At least 25 for B2C and 2 for B2B) We interviewed 38 self employed, work
from home individuals, as well as small
business owners in and around our
region of Gauteng Province in South
How many of them agree this is a problem that needs to be solved? All 29 responded that this is a problem
that they need a viable solution for,
How many of them said they can already solve this problem and don't need a new solution? 7 responded that they are already using
solutions like small petrol and diesel
generators when needed.
Already have a solution Unresponsive
Questions ask for validation via Social Media groups link to a Google Survey form we created
Where are you
How often a
week do you
what is the
avarage time of
Do you loose
income as a
result of the
does it interupt
your ability to
work and be
What do you
Are you in the
market for an
that can help to
keep you and
Can we contact
you in the future
to introduce you
to a potential
solution to your
We offer a compact and mobile Lithium Ion battery based power pack that is easy to use and relative affordable for target market we
engaged to validate the problem with.
Currently the customers are addressing the problem by
• Using LED lighting and Gas appliances where and when required and available
• Another alternative widely in use but and inconvenient to operate is Petrol and Diesel Generators
Our solution offers customers - The benefit of a once off purchase that is reusable and self sustained, along with being reliable, compact and
easy to use.
The details of our offering consist of:
1. 550W 220V Battery Pack offering 4 – 6 hours of 12v and 220v power.
2. Rechargeable via 220v/ 12v or Solar.
3. LED screen displaying important power availability.
Why this business will work in our market/region or country:
South Africa suffers from large electrical supply infrastructure failure resulting in disruptions to work and business country wide on a daily bases. There are
no large scale short term solutions on the table to resolve this and the problem could potential increase substantially in the future.
Renewable energy is the future and the technological advancements in battery technology has created opportunities to enter the market with a viable
short term solution and product for home and business use.
Goals - (In relation to the problem experienced)
• To grow their businesses.
• Be productive working from home.
• Have access to a reliable electrical supply.
• To keep their businesses operational during power failures.
Frustrations - (In relation to the problem experienced)
• Having no connectivity from their routers during power failures.
• Being left unable to charge their laptops or operate electrical
• Card machines not functional.
• Shop security systems failing.
• Staff having to be sent home due to having to close doors.
• Small Business Owners are mostly 1 person or small team operations ( 1 – 5 employees) that are
dependent on maintaining daily sales or operations going to remain profitable.
• Work from home individuals perform their daily tasks and functions from a small home office, and
are reliant on stable connectivity and other devices required to remain productive in a home office
• Self employed individuals can be a combined bio of the small business owner and operators as
well as the work from home persons.
Age (in years): 21 - 65
Gender: Male and Female
Profession: Self Employed,
Work from Home, Small
Location: Gauteng Province,
Small business owners, work
from home individuals and
self employed people
Add a photo that
represents your ideal
Profit and income generation
Extrovert and Outgoing
Individuals who are committed
to their work and business.
Not a Niche market,
but our product has
We are entering a
due to our
• South Africa
• Small Business
• Work from
home or self
• Keeping small
TAM = (South Africa, R150M annually, total
potential market size is 20 million customers) 7% of the
market @ R10M Annually
SAM = (Gauteng, Western Cape & KZN Provinces,
R120M annually, 15 million potential customers) 5% of
the market @ R6M Annually
SOM = (Gauteng Province, Estimated market value is
around R50M annually, with approximately 4 million
potential customers) 2% of the market @ R1M
Characteristics of a Niche (only If
you have a niche market) – “Our
market is Niche due to the unique
problem we have identified within a
very small and focused segment”
TAM SAM SOM & Market