Haris Amir (100335)
Fawad Ahmed (100365)
Mudassir Hayat (100269)
M. Khubaib (100155)
Omair Akhter (100179)
Solar power generation:
solar power generation is one of the best
non-conventional sources of Energy.
In solar power generation we convert solar
energy in to different types of energy.
We can convert solar energy directly into
electricity by solar cells (PV cells).
We can convert solar energy into heat energy
by thermal combustion.
Why we need Solar power generation?
We have abundant quantity of solar energy.
Coal and other conventional sources deplete with
the passage of time.
Low maintenance cost.
Can used in remote areas.
Photovoltaic (PV) Cells
Using the sun
What is PV
Photovoltaic (PV) systems convert
sunlight directly into DC power, and
are potentially one of the most
useful renewable energy
Composition of PV Cells
• Made up of single crystal of silicon
into which doping materials are
diffused to form a semi conductor.
• Thick N region covered with a thin p
Working of PV Cells
• When exposed to light, an electron
hole pair is generated.
• Increases charge carriers in both
• Electric field due to junction
potential barrier causes current flow
into external circuit.
Efficiency of PV
• PV made up of silicon crystal has
efficiency is 24%.
• Commercially available PV cells have
efficiency 10% to 12 %.
• Also made up of Gallium arsenide
with efficiency of 24% but it is
expensive as it is rare therefore
silicone PV’s are preferred.
Photovoltaic power is ideal for remote applications
where other power sources are impractical or
unavailable, such as in the Swiss Alps.
Solar-powered water pumps
battery chargers for boats, vehicles, and equipment
Solar Thermal Power
Two methods :
Solar rays collector
1) General idea is to collect the light from many reflectors
spread over a large area at one central point to achieve
2) Example is the 10-MW solar power plant in Barstow,
• 1900 heliostats, each 20 ft by 20 ft
• a central 295 ft tower
1) An energy storage system allows it to generate 7 MW
of electric power without sunlight.
2) Capital cost is greater than coal fired power plant,
despite the no cost for fuel, ash disposal, and stack
3) Capital costs are expected to decline as more and more
power towers are built with greater technological
4) One way to reduce cost is to use the waste steam from
the turbine for space heating or other industrial
Solar Ray Collector
Three types of solar ray collector
Flat plat collector
Line focusing collector
Point focusing collector
Flat Plate Collector
• Solar rays pass through transparent
• Absorbed by conducting pipes.
(Aluminum , copper steel etch)
• Liquid in pipes get heated.
• 150- Butane,Freon-14 used instead
• They are simple and use less material
• Cost of collecting per unit area is low
• They have more efficiency
• High temperature attained in less
volume so to store energy we need
Photo-voltaic VS solar thermal
• Easy to install
• Less Expansive
• Get DC easily
• Less maintenance
• Requires Sterling
Engine and Mirrors
• Takes time to
• More losses
• Less Efficient
Advantages and Disadvantages
of solar energy
• Not harmful to
environment so called
• Unlimited Energy
• No need of fuel for
• Requires less maintenance
• Easy to install
• No Pollution
• No need of Generator and
• Difficult to operate at it
• Effect of weather
• Very Expensive
• Requires large area to
capture sun energy
• Effect of geographical