2008 Paris Conference, Garrett: push a button and a car shows up
Transportation, something everyone uses, making it fancy.
Uber Company Review
• Luxury Car Services (UberBlack)
• Cab Rides (UberTaxi)
• SUV Rides (UberSUV)
• Car Rides (UberX)
As of August 2013, valued at $3.5B
Including Google Ventures’ $258M investment
Estimated 2013 Revenue: $125M
~300 Employees (not including drivers)
• UberCab 2009: CEO Travis Kalanick & Garrett Camp
• 2010 : iOS & Android app released
• 2011: raised $50M from investors
o Menlo Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Bezos Expeditions
• 2012: experimental UberTaxi in Chicago
• Early 2013: experimental UberChopper ($3000 !!)
• Sept 4, 2013: First Sports Deal – NFL Partnership
o Reach a more mainstream audience
• From San Fran in 2010 to 19 countries (35 cities)
o NYC, DC, Baltimore, Detroit, UK, France, Singapore, New Delhi, Taipei
• One thing: RIDES!
• Hottest: UberBlack
Why it Works:
“Everyone’s private driver”
One thing, and doing it well.
Constant Customer interaction for improvements
Focus on experience: Consumer willing to pay
• Uber has no drivers natively
o Drivers join the network, get paid and Uber takes a commission
We all Scream!
• July 2013: Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
Lyft, Hailo, TaxiMagic, Sidecar
Local Taxi Companies (Metro Car, Yellow Car)
o Washington DC, San Francisco, Toronto, et al. all pushed legal opposition
Sink or Float?
Float and sail off with favorable winds
Taking an existing high-demand market
Creating a new niche-market with self-propagating
• Releasing new products, with constant consumer
• Google is backing them = Resources!