Successfully reported this slideshow.
KEVIN ALLEN, GISP
22 Paddock Drive | Newport News, VA 23606 | 757.570.4443 |
SUMMARY OF EXPERIENCE
• Highly experienced in using ESRI ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Online, and Google Earthsoftware
platforms to perform analysis/consulting and create visually-effective mappingproducts in
environmental, planning, energy, defense and intelligence sectors.
• CertifiedGeographic Information Systems Professional, GIS Certification Institute, 2015.
• Effective communicator, writtenand verbally. Takes initiative tocontinuously improve and add value
• Advanced analytical, data management and presentation experience on diverse range of projects,
always focusing on exceeding client/stakeholder’s expectations.
• Expertise ingeographic database creation, organization, optimization and maintenance.
• Follows established GIS Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC), andSDSFIE best practices.
• Very resourceful in data mining and data researching.
• Develops solid understanding of mission requirements, and executes work within expectations and
Senior GIS Analyst, Cardno - Government Services Division 2011 — 2016
Newport News/Hampton, VA
- Witha combined 10 years of GIS consulting and analytical experience, successfully conveys project data
through a geographical perspective, and gives sound advice based on advanced geospatial analyses.
- Adept at cartographic best practices, providing project team leaders and clients withhigh-quality map
deliverables (on paper and electronically).
- Works withvarious project team members, leaders, and clients throughout the U.S.
- Commandeered company-wide initiative toutilize webmapping technologies via ArcGIS Online, a
measure which proved to significantly cut development time and client cost, and gave the end-user the
capability toview and manipulate custom webmaps and applications.
- Lead GIS Analyst for various environmental planning projects, including but not limitedto:
Lead GIS Analyst, Stormwater/Sewer System Data Collection, Joint Base Fort Eustis,
Newport News, Va. Plan, execute and supervise geodetic survey operations. Perform quality
assurance/quality control of data to adhere to Federal Geographic Data standards. Create
and update progress maps to inform management and stakeholders of project progress.
Project Manager, GIS Support for C. AllanBamforth Engineering, Norfolk, Va. Obtained
valuable experience in business development and client/customer relations as project
manager and GIS specialist for a small civil engineering/surveying firm. Weekly tasks include
data collection oversight, GIS-to-CAD conversion, GIS consulting, creating cartographic
displays, for various Navy/Marine Corps and NASA projects.
Species at Risk (SAR) WebApplication, US Marine Corps Installations East (MCIEAST).
Created an environmental analysis and management tool, withthe purpose of determining
which land parcels near various Marine Corps installations wouldhave the highest
probability of hosting threatened and endangered plant and animal species habitats.
AICUZ (Air InstallationCompatible Use Zones) Noise Modeling for various Naval and Marine
Corps air bases, including MCAS Beaufort, S.C., MCAS Yuma, Ariz., MCAS CampPendleton,
Calif., Naval Air FieldWhitehouse, Fla. Analyzedpotential changes in noise levels and
effects on local populations and land uses surrounding installations.
U.S. Marine Corps Real Estate Acquisition and Encroachment Control Plans, MCAS
Beaufort, S.C.; MCAS Cherry Point, N.C. Developed web maps and applications depicting
various air and ground features that affecteddecision-making and long-range planning.
Site suitability study for high-terrain training sites for USMC MV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor
aircraft. The purpose was to identify future landing zones for the 22 Marine Expeditionary
Force, using multiple criteria and various geospatial data sources. Poster mapdisplayed at
2015 ESRI User Conference.
U.S. Navy Encroachment Action Plans, Naval Support Activity Mechanicsburg, Pa., Naval
Support Activity Philadelphia, Pa., former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and Naval Weapons
Station Yorktown, Va. Developed and presented maps and figures for long-range plans for
installations by addressing the many encroachment challenges faced by the U.S. Navy as a
result of external development.
Environmental Assessment for Large-Scale Solar Farm, MCLB Albany, Georgia. GIS analysis
and cartographic presentations to identify impacts and constraints of leasingland for the
construction of Georgia Power Company’s renewable energy system on Marine Corps
Supplemental EIS for Phase III, AtlanticFleet Trainingand Testing/Hawaii-SoCal Training
and Testing, US Navy. Lead analyst on joint-venture, multi-year Navy environmental impact
statements. The purpose is to re-assess the Navy’s at-sea trainingactivities and the
environmental effects of such.
Three-dimensional airspace data models, NASA Stennis Space Center, Miss., and various
Marine Corps bases, N.C. Using 3D Analyst technologies and elevationdata, created
visually-enhanced 3D figures of special-use airspace (SUAS) areas toallow clients and other
stakeholders to understand the parameters and limitations of aviation matters and how
they relate to proposed construction.
Wetland Mitigation and Compensation Plan, Route 11, Connecticut Department of
Transportation. Worked withstaff wetlands biologist toidentify up to 1o0 acres of wetlands
restoration sites. Through the use of ArcGIS Model Builder, Python scripting and other
advanced methodologies yielded 114 potential sites, which were presented to ConnDOT for
Environmental Impact Statement, SpaceX Launch Site, Texas. Coordinated GIS services as
part of a proposal by the Federal AviationAdministration to approve commercial launches
of SpaceX Falcon on privately owned 56-acre property near the U.S.-Mexico border.
Calculated fill material needed, direct and indirect wetlands impacts caused by construction,
potential impact on land and marine wildlife, vegetation and coastal resources.
Environmental Impact Statement, NASA Wallops Flight Facility, Wallops Island, Va.
Coordinated all GIS efforts towarda suite of construction, renovation and demolition
projects across facility. Performed noise impact study to determine population and affected
households, historical overviews of wetlands impacted from 1938 to present, and changes in
hydric soils 1920 topresent.
Lead GIS Analyst, US Army Human Terrain Research Center 2010 - 2011
Newport News, VA
- Oversaw andadministered all GIS-relatedefforts for Army Training and Doctrine Command’s (TRADOC’s)
Reachback Research Center, a 25-person cultural analytical team supporting human terrain researchers
embedded in Iraqand Afghanistan.
- Published a diverse array of analytical maps using ArcGIS Desktop, Google Earth, and proprietary defense
software. These maps enabled the military commanders to make informed decisions regarding social-
- Created an expansive geographic reference library on Iraq, Afghanistan, and other mission-essential
locales, and leveragedthis data bank to support numerous research requests from personnel intheatre
- Other project examples include, but were not limitedto:
Iraq: Plotted locations of churches and mosques to determine the church-to-mosque ratioin
various northern cities, as part of a study on the persecution of Christianminorities; Created
zoning and demographic maps for an environmental assessment inAs-Samawah; Created
electoral thematic maps to track voting results for first post-Saddam Iraqi election.
Middle East: During the “ArabSpring” of 2010-2011, starting withviolent government
overthrows inLibya and Egypt, created a poster tracking notable events and their
Haiti: Compiled needs-assessments maps, population displacement maps, and
environmental impacts figures in the aftermath of the January 2010 earthquake.
Mexico: Created informative graphics mapping the location and occupied turf areas of the
various drug cartels, as well as the major “hotspots” of violence.
- Obtained Top Secret clearance.
GIS Analyst, National Guard Bureau Joint Operations Center 2009 - 2010
- Member of a four-person, rotating shift team that provided geospatial support for a operations center,
whose missionwas to monitor and chart all Army and Air National Guard involvement and mobilization.
- Regularly communicated with senior officers regarding current Guard activities, documented standard-
operating procedures, and improved GIS workflows inorder to provide up-to-date mapping products.
- Used ArcGIS Explorer to maintainlive data feeds for the command center’s common operational picture.
GIS Analyst, CH2M HILL 2007 - 2009
- Provided GIS project support for environmental consulting firm. Workedon various environmental and
military planning projects, including but not limitedto:
Air Force Center for Engineering and Environment (AFCEE) Comprehensive Planfor
Restructuring of Baghdad International Zone. As Lead GIS Analyst, created detailed
planning, facilities, security enhancement and infrastructure maps of central Baghdad.
AFCEE Facilities Assessment andComprehensive Plans, Camp Arifjan, Kuwait. Lead GIS
analyst for eight-member military planning team on two-week site visit tosix US military
installations in Kuwait. Assisted the Army Central Command (ARCENT) withpreparing the
installations for the inevitable drawdown and out-processing of military personnel and
equipment returning from Iraq.
Range Fuels Environmental Assessment, Soperton, GA. Analyst for a proposed alternative-
energy fuel processing plant incentral Georgia. Workflows included CAD-to-GIS
transformations, wetlands delineation and analysis, watershedanalysis, and various site-
Florida Department of Emergency Management LiDAR Data QA/QC Analyst. Supported
data quality assessment and control on LiDAR data of coastal Florida counties. As “block
captain”, coordinated with team members on assessingdata quality and troubleshooting.
GIS Manager, DC Group 2006 - 2007
- Implemented GIS capabilities for small, family-ownedcivil engineering firm in southern Delaware.
- Integrated engineers’ CAD drawings into GIS environment for analysis and presentation.
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant, Virginia Tech 2005 - 2006
- In charge of labsessions for Introduction to Remote Sensing, co-taught labsessions for Intro to GIS.
- Assistedfaculty with executing course plans, student evaluations, grading, administering exams, etc.
Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Bioinformatics Institute Summer 2005
- Created block-group level population and housing model of entire EasternU.S. for an epidemiology study.
- Wrote detailedproject methodology reports and created presentations to document procedures.
Internship, NASA Langley Research Center GIS Department Jan2004 – Aug 2004
- Wrote technical documents, authored instructional manuals for future GIS users, and edited initial
implementation plans pertaining to center’s Space Allocation Optimization program. The project since has
savedmore than $15M due to consolidation of facilities and office space.
Sports Journalist, Daily Press newspaper 2001 - 2004
Newport News, VA
Sports Journalist, Florida Today newspaper 1999 - 2001
Management Trainee, Enterprise Rent-A-Car 1999
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sports Editor, Venice Gondolier newspaper 1997 - 1999
- Master of Science, Geography, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, attended 2004-2006
Degree pending upon completion of thesis (withdrew to financially support my family)
- Bachelor of Science, Communications, University of Florida, graduated December 1996
Alligator newspaper; UF Rugby Football Club; member, Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity