TPP122: High Mileage Options For Long Distant Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs)
TPP122: High MileageTPP122: High Mileage
Options for Long-DistantOptions for Long-Distant
Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs)Bug-Out Vehicles (BOVs)
By Ken Jensen
Your Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV) must beYour Bug-Out Vehicle (BOV) must be
able to go the distanceable to go the distance
• Distance you need to go • The route that you have to go
• Gas stations along the route • Gas station closures or lines
How to ensure your Bug-Out VehicleHow to ensure your Bug-Out Vehicle
(BOV) will go the maximum possible(BOV) will go the maximum possible
The following can help your vehicle go further on less fuel:
• Smooth Acceleration and Deceleration
• Ensure all panels are in place properly
• Keep your engine tuned
• Keep your tires inflated properly (check every week)
• Keeping speed below 65MPH, but this may not be realistic for
• Low Rolling-Resistance Tires
• Alloy Rims (low weight)
• Change your air filter (engine
management runs richer with dirty
• Keep your spark plugs changed or
• Coast in gear, not neutral in
• Don’t use higher octane
fuel (doesn’t help unless
you have a high-
Some ways to carry extra fuel are:Some ways to carry extra fuel are:
• Larger Fuel Tanks
Conventional tanks are between 350 and 400 miles in distance. Long-range
tanks can add about another 100 miles. Bigger tank = more fuel = more
• A Second Tank
Many cars actually have space for this. You just doubled
• Jerry Can Mounts
You can add 5 gallons per can.
You can add to the outer shell
of your vehicle, so no interior
room is lost.
• Flat Fuel Cans
If you want something low
profile to add to your roof
or the back of your vehicle
use flat cans.
• Keep 15 or 50 Gallon HDPE Barrels in Bed of Truck
15 gallon barrels give 150-300 miles extra
50 gallon barrels give 500-1000 extra miles.
• Roof Racks
If you have a roof rack,
you can use ratcheting
straps to hold basic fuel
cans down on your roof.
Keep Extra Fuel forKeep Extra Fuel for
Long-Range Bug OutsLong-Range Bug Outs
• If you keep enough extra fuel with each vehicle, you will be able to
make a long range trip to your Bug-Out Location (BOL). Using these
options, determine how you will extend the range of any vehicle.
Connect with us!Connect with us!