Who, What, When, Where and
Ken Bauer, Spring 2014
Who, What, When, Where and
Oh yeah, and how?
Ken Bauer, May 2014
How I got here
• My classes have always been “dynamic” and not so
planned ahead. I use markers not power point.
• Eric Raymond “An Itch to Scratch”
• David Garza’s talk Spring 2012
• I believe a managers job is to provide the tools and
space for employees to do their job as well as protect
them from distractions.
• If that is true, shouldn’t we do the same in managing
• Tried it, tried it again, trying again.
• Read and read more, listening to podcasts, following
Schedule (probably not)
• Who is and should be Flipping?
• What is Flipping?
• When should I start Flipping?
• Where can I go for help on Flipping?
• Why do I want to Flip my course?
• How to Flip
• Student reaction and preparation for Flipping
• Tools, Mastery and more
• You will NOT “get it” in 3 hours, this is a long journey
but one worth taking
WHO: Tec21 Teachers
• Un profesor que inspire a los alumnos, sea
innovador, esté vinculado con la
práctica de su profesión y se encuentre a
la vanguardia en su disciplina, es el tipo
de docente que busca el modelo educativo Tec 21
• Videos, comments and discussions
• Chapter 3 from the book
• Podcast, did anyone listen to one?
• Tec21 Flipped Learning Video
WHAT is Flipping
• Discuss, gather and share.
• Penguin video and other videos.
• Experience what a student sees in class
How Ken sees it
• Assign activity/hw assignment.
• Receive the “deliverable” with the solution.
• But how did they get there, what did they learn on the
journey to the solution?
• That is what I am way more interested in, the process of
WHEN should I start?
This is up to you and how you want to approach any
change to your teaching methods.
Find resources for your particular area/class.
Did anyone find the same resources?
WHERE do I go for help?
I can't do this by myself.
And you shouldn't
How do you share what you are working on with other
Why do I want to Flip?
Chapter 3 of “FlipYour Classroom, Reach Every Student
in Every Class Every Day”, Bergmann and Sams, 2012
Gather quotes from the internet.
Where are we looking for this? What are good sources?
How to Flip
• Videos, do we need them?
If so, how to use them?
• What else should be happening “outside”
• So now that we moved all that outside, what do we do
• Evaluation and what is the purpose and goals?
• HackSchool video with Logan LaPlante
• What is the student role here?
• Are they ready for this?
• Mature enough?
• Motivated enough?
• How does a student watch a video (or read)?
• What is the role of administration here?
Tools and Software
• How to make videos, I recommend Camtasia from
TechSmith. Or use Screencast-o-matic
• Where to put the videos?
• Engage your students with tools, there are so many….
• Engage with other educators in this community
• Create a video using Camtasia, flip it in ed.ted.com
Stag e 1 – Basic Flip with little
Stag e 2 – I have videos and
Stag e 3 – Mastery and more
• Can we switch to a completely student driven
• How does this play a role in Tec21
• Ken did it this past semester. Results are mixed but
good considering how much I learned.
• Get involved
• FB Group http://bit.ly/flipmexico (Flip Mexico)
and http://bit.ly/tecflip (Tec Internal)
• Share your experiences (good and bad)
• Twitter: @ken_bauer
• Google+: http://plus.google.com/+KenBauer