Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Wickham Market research detailing

Details of the research we undertook to build a model railway layout.

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Wickham Market research detailing

  1. 1. By Keith Barker Ely MRC RESEARCH WORK FOR THE BUILDING OF A MODEL RAILWAY LAYOUT & THE INFORMATION DISPLAY BOARDS
  2. 2. CONTENTS • History & Location • Railway buildings • Other buildings / features • Trains • Further historical aspects
  3. 3. LOCATION The map was copied from a map showing lines in East Anglia in the early 20th century with GER lines in red. I added the totem for Wickham Market to show the location.
  4. 4. HISTORY REFERENCES 'The Framlingham Branch' Peter Paye Eastern Mainlines Ipswich – Saxmundham Richard Adderson & Graham Kenworthy An Illustrated History of The East Suffolk Line John Brodribb Railway History in Pictures Peter W Swinger East Suffolk Railway Stanley Jenkins Steam Days Mag Feb 2013 Modern Railways 1967 May page 262 Photographic Collection/ Stations U.K List10 (B38/4A) RAIL Issue 131 page 59 Railway Bylines Issue 5? /1 5,6 Railway Magazine 1939 Nov page 331 Railway Magazine 1954 Dec Page 817 Railway World 1984 Sept Page 478 Great Eastern Journal The Ipswich Journal The Bury & Norwich Post
  5. 5. DOWN STATION BUILDING As an existing building we took measurements & studied photographs from the period - to get a snapshot of the building at the 1950’s period. Being able to get plans from the Station House conservation trust & the local authority planning department was a big bonus.
  6. 6. UP STATION BUILDING This building had been removed along with the platform. So we constructed it using old maps to give the footprint of the platform and building, together with scaling from photographs.
  7. 7. Station Signal Box The box is basically a GER type 2 design and is believed to have been built in 1881 with weatherboard cladding, with co-aligned upper & lower verticals & deep overhang eaves. The box internal was fitted with a Saxby & Farmer 5” lever frame to their 1874 pattern with 31 levers all in use. The box was situated at the near end of the up platform. The staggered platforms only had a foot crossing (no footbridge) making it a dangerous crossing for passengers if a train was standing in the down platform. The signalman was provided with a megaphone to warn passengers of oncoming trains. There were several accidents & fatalities over the years. The useful colour photo appeared in the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal (GERJ), the diagram was photographed in the Essex Record Office GERS collection.
  8. 8. • The goods shed although smaller than that at Framlingham is the same type and almost identical to Saxmundham and similar in style to many of the East Suffolk Railway, although there are building material differences. • The building is built with local Suffolk red brick using English bond for the brickwork, with a pitched roof covered with slate. At one end the rail opening has solid wooden doors and the other end a slatted gate type arrangement • Surprisingly the ESR trademark diamond pattern in the brickwork on the gable ends, does not appear to have been used on goods sheds or station buildings. An early photo of the goods shed, fortunately we were able to take some measurements & photos before it was demolished. THE GOODS SHED
  9. 9. Measurements & photos were taken at similar houses in Burwell AIREY HOUSES Following the World War II, Britain faced a major housing shortage. To meet the shortage and bring the cost of housing down, a new form of construction was pioneered, commonly called ‘PRC’ (Pre-cast Reinforced Concrete). They were quick to assemble and required less skilled labour than traditional build being made from concrete panels reinforced with steel, bolted together or with a steel frame. Types included, Airey, Orlit, Cornish, Wates, Reema, Tarran, etc The Airey House was so called as it was developed by a Leeds company, W Airey & Sons Ltd and around 26,000 were built in the UK between 1945 - 1955, mainly in rural areas. There were two types of Airey House, the 'Rural' type as depicted here in Ullswater Road, Campsea Ashe, with its gable ends, and a later 'Urban' type with a hipped roof. Both types had two layouts, in. Ullswater Road there was one style on either side of the road. We have modelled the two next to each other owing to lack of space!
  10. 10. THE TALBOT HOTEL The Talbot Hotel (now the Dog & Duck) opposite the station was built by the East Suffolk Railway probably as part of the station scheme along with the Granary. Adverts for the Talbot Hotel leasehold were placed in the Ipswich Journal in 1860 & 1867. The building is not shown on our model as it would be off the base board. Shown right is a pictures of the Talbot Hotel at the foot of the road overbridge & one of the 1911 census George Warne started his work as a boy agricultural labourer (1851 census) and then joined the household of magistrate Frederick Connance as a footman (1861 census.) By 1871 George was a coachman and is future wife Anna Brown was on the staff as a housekeeper. They married in 1875. By 1881 he was the landlord of The Talbot Hotel. George died in 1913 leaving an estate of £5901 ( about £685,385 at today’s value)
  11. 11. RAILWAY COTTAGES The four cottages were built to house railway staff by the Great Eastern Railway company. They were authorised by the directors following a meeting of the works and ways committee on 11th July 1877 at a cost of £950. They are built with local white & redbrick with slate roofing. In the 1881 census the occupants were:- Signalman James Harvey (23) and his young wife Emma (21) Porter Charles Ford (31) his wife Catherine (35) 3 daughters & a son under 9, His sister Charlotte (18) and Charles Woods (22) porter & lodger. Porter William Battle (35) his wife Anna (26) 2 daughters & a son under 7. Porter Henry Newson (45) his wife Elizabeth (43) 3 sons & 2 daughters under 14.
  12. 12. WICKHAM MARKET COAL MERCHANT Like most wayside stations Wickham Market was able to deal with coal from the coalfields of England for distribution by the local coal merchant. We have been unable to find a photo of the facilities at the station so have modelled a generic set of coal staithes & office. R Rackham is listed in 1912 Whites Suffolk as a Coal Merchant but as they had a mill in Wickham Market town it is not clear if they had space at the sidings at the station; for modelling purpose we have assumed so. Typical coal yard scene
  13. 13. ROAD OVER BRIDGE When the station opened in 1859 it had a level crossing at the north end where the B1078 road from Orford to Wickham Market crossed the line. As passenger trains on the line increased in length the short platforms could no accommodate the coaching stock. Trains needed to stop & then pull up and stop for a second time to allow passengers to off or on. Severe delays incurred and local people complained that the level crossing gates to the north of the station were always blocked. On 3rd July 1900 the General Manager reported to the Traffic Committee that down passenger trains, especially during the summer months, were again having to pull up twice and subsequently blocked the level crossing located north of the station. The crossing was busy and as the gates were often closed for excessively long periods~ public complaints were on the increase. After investigation it was proposed to lengthen the down platform so that trains did not have to pull up more than once and at the same time replace the level crossing with an overline bridge. The subject was first raised in 1897 and a resolution was passed by the Traffic Committee on 16th June, 1897 after the local authority had written saying they were prepared to support the scheme and contribute towards expenses. The Traffic Committee finally agreed the expenditure & the contract for the new bridge was awarded to J. Westwood & Company on 15th January, 1901. This was later replaced by Suffolk County Council in 2005
  14. 14. BLACKSTOCK CROSSING The building was typical of the ESR crossing keeper cottages; built with Suffolk white brick & black glazed pantiles. Note the very narrow windows on the front elevation a small entrance porch and the trademark diamond pattern in the brickwork on the gable end. Cottage in 2012 Blackstock Crossing is so named because of the adjacent Blackstock Wood & is situated just south of Wickham Market Junction ( with the branch line to Framlingham) - the signal box for the junction can be seen in the background of the photo below. Photo GERS dated 13 July 1969
  15. 15. WICKHAM MARKET JUNCTION SIGNAL BOX The box is located just north of Blackstock (level) Crossing beside the down line and controls access to & from the Framlingham Branch The crossover from the down main to the up main, used by trains coming of the branch was incorporated into the level crossing. The signal box is a Great Eastern Railway type 2 and is constructed /rebuilt with concrete block work at the base. It was fitted with a McKenzie & Holland 15 level frame. Note the plank across the point rodding for the signal man to stand on when collecting the token/key from trains coming off the branch.
  16. 16. Massey-Harris developed its first self- propelled combine in 1937 and by 1941 it enjoyed immediate success in the USA with the wartime urgency for greater food production. These machines required only one man to operate them, a great benefit when labour was short. Massey Harris opened a factory in Scotland in 1949 and their combines were a popular choice for British farmers in the post-war years. The one illustrated is a Model F90, first introduced in 1953. That year, Massey- Harris and Harry Ferguson Ltd joined forces and in 1958 the consolidated firm became known as Massey-Ferguson Ltd, a name that was identified around the world as a leader in tractor and combine production. The model is a scratch built version of the Model 780, one of which was found locally at Cottenham Fen. Photo - The Museum of English Rural Life www.ruralhistory.org A HARVESTING SCENE Harvesting on Thurston model railway layout.
  17. 17. THE EASTERLING The Easterling was an express passenger train that ran non-stop from London Liverpool Street, to Beccles, the only intermediate stop, where it divided for Yarmouth and Lowestoft. (the last three coaches were for the latter). Both sections then ran on non-stop to Yarmouth ( South Town) & Lowestoft (Central). It was the only titled train to run on the East Suffolk line. The train ran during the summer months from 1950 -1958 Monday to Fri & Saturday and would generally consist of 10 coaches including a restaurant car. Trains left Liverpool Street at 1103 & arrived at Yarmouth 1342 & Lowestoft at 1342. The up return left both the seaside resorts at 1910 and arrived back in Liverpool Street at 2200. Saturdays down train left Liverpool Street 30 minutes earlier. Seats can be reserved in advance at the fee of 1/- per seat at the seat reservation offices, Liverpool Street or any other London terminus, station booking offices Lowestoft (Central) and Yarmouth (South Town), or through the usual agencies.
  18. 18. • Photo of weed killing train- spraying on the Framlingham Branch Dr Ian Allen. THE WEED KILLING TRAIN The Chipman Chemical Company was formed in 1929 and provided a spray train service, spraying weeds on railways throughout the United Kingdom, also supplying specialist weed control products and services to Local Authorities and the industrial market. They provided a treatment train for the LNER before the war and continued railway work until the early 1990s. This train, utilising a converted GE brake van and a string of tanks containing the water-based 'Atlacide' weedkiller, was in use until the mid 1950s when it was replaced by more modern equipment. Our model train was made up mainly from customised Bachmann tank wagons and kit built brake vans. Danny Pinnock of D & S kindly supplied a kit for the GE brake van with suitable fittings. Pictures of the tank wagons were almost impossible to locate and both details and transfers were reconstituted using what little information was available. The transfers were produced by Brunel Models in Australia. Photos in 55 Years of East Anglian Steam, Dr. Ian C Allen (Plate 206) and Odd Corners of the Eastern, Eric Sawford, p85. Photo of weed killing train-spraying on the Framlingham Branch Dr Ian Allen. Model – Jonathan Wealleans
  19. 19. FUTURE PLANS Our layout of Wickham Market has the branch line to Framlingham ending in a fiddle yard at the back of the layout. It is intended to build a further layout of Framlingham station which will be able to operate as a standalone layout, but it will be possible to connect to the main Wickham Market layout and operate the two together. THE FRAMLINGHAM BRANCH
  20. 20. • . THE END © Ely & District Model Railway Club Ltd To add to the East Anglia railway scene flavour we have interspersed our information notices with some railway posters. A typical one is shown below together with a photo of the layout at an exhibition with the information notices along the front and sides.

×