A New Capital
• In 794 the emperor of Japan moved
to a new capital called Heian-kyo.
• This started the period called the
Heian-kyo period that lasted until
• This is also called the Golden Age
because Japanese culture flourished.
• Beauty, elegance,
• New art and
• New sculptures,
art, music, and
Social Position in the Heian
Court• The Heian period
had different social
–Where you were
depended on the
family you came
–Nine main ranks
made up the
What does your rank say about
• Rank determined the number of
servants you could have.
• People of different ranks had a
certain number of folds in their fans!
• Noble people wore fancy robes,
• Punishments for crimes were worse if
you were of a lower rank!
Beauty and Fashion During the Heian
• Society prized beauty, elegance and fashion.
• Men and women spent a lot of time on their
– Men had pointed beards
– Women had long hair
• Japanese believed white teeth to be ugly! They
even dyed their teeth black.
Women in Japan
• They wore a lot of
– Used white powder
to look pale and
– An aristocratic
women even wore
12 silk robes at a
– Women would pluck
eyebrows and then
paint them high on