Ch. 11 History Review Sheet: Crusades and New Muslim Empires (CHECK YOUR
ASNWERS PLEASE! Use red pen to correct mistakes or add to answers.)
1) The different religious wars launched against the Muslims by the European Christians
were called the crusades
2) When the Seljuk Turk Muslims began taking control of more land, they also had a new
sultan. A sultan is:
A) A type of weapon used for fighting
B) A name of a place
C) A ruler of a Muslim state
3) List two reasons why the European Christians decided to go on crusades at the end of
the 11th century?
1) The pope told them that fighting in the crusades would lead to salvation.
2) Christians were afraid that the Muslims were taking control of the holy city
4) (3 PART QUESTION) The three religious groups that said Jerusalem was their holy city were the
Christians, Muslims, and Jews.
A) To Christians, it was the place where Jesus was crucified.
B) To Muslims, it was where Muhammadrose to heaven.
C) To Jews, it was the place where their ancient templewas built.
5) At the start of the First Crusade, the popewas the one who called for a battle against the Muslims.
6) Both knights and peasants in Europe were sent to fight in the crusades.
7) Why did some peasants volunteer to fight in the crusades?
Some peasants decided to fight in the crusades because they believed it would get them a space in
heaven. They thought they could gain salvation, fame, or even wealth.
8) One way that you could identify Christian crusaders in battle was by:
A) The large swords they carried
B) The red crosses they wore on their shirts or armor
C) The types of horses they rode
8B) What was the Reconquista?
The Reconquista was a battle for control of the Iberian Peninsula between Muslims from North
Africa and Europe.
9) After the First Crusade, the Christians wonback Jerusalem.
10) Less than 50 years later, the pope called for a few more crusades. None of the
crusades were successful!
11) List one way that the Christians were influenced by the Muslim culture during the
Christians began to wear Muslim clothing, and even eat Muslim foods during the
12) We learned about Anna Comnena, a daughter of a Byzantine Emperor during the
Crusades. Although she respected the Christians, she worried that they were no longer
fighting for Godbut instead for themselves.
13) List two ways in which the Jews were affected by the crusades.
1) They faced segregation and discrimination.
2) They lost their homes, business, and even families.
14) Jews in Europe were forced to live in ghettos, and this was called segregation
15) Prejudice against the Jews is called:
16) The crusades led to people disliking each other because they had different religious
1) The Crusaders also destroyed Jewish places of worship called synagogue.
List 2 Effects of the Crusades on Europe:
1- Population decrease, many people died
2- Religious discrimination occurred (and still does occur )